PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario V6000

puffins808
08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I have this laptop and it will not boot up. It goes to the compaq screen with a <esc> and <f10> only and will restart inself with the same results. I tried to press f11 to try and get it to the recovery for what I have read. No recovery disc either. I read that you can do key combination stoke to invoke recovery partition. Sorry if I am saying it wrong but I am sure you know what I am trying to say, if not I will explain more. What can I do. I know once I get it going if so I will need to update the BIOS for all my reading also that will fix this issue.

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Try using a Linux live cd to boot from, you should be able to see your data and recover it; can you get into Safe Mode at all? Do you have a floppy drive, try booting with a boot disc, and do a chkdsk /r from a command prompt. Or go here http://www.ubcd4win.com/ and make yourself one.
Alternatively call Compaq and get yourself some Recovery Discs (you'll need to quote your computer's model and build code (should be on the bottom of the laptop), shouldn't cost much.

puffins808
08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Which one do I choose? http://www.livecdlist.com/

I can not get into safe mode...I wish.

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Not one of the full-size ones ;), Puppy would do.
You would need a operating system disk to make a windows rescue disk (but any XP (I assume ) os disk should do it).

puffins808
08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
There is a couple of them that say OS installation rescue. I am sorry, but I really do not know which one to get.

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 09:23 AM
The os they mostly talking about is Linux (you are rescuing Windows :)), heres Puppy
http://www.puppylinux.com/

puffins808
08-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Ahh...I just got what you said about Puppy. It said it is a desktop one.

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 09:25 AM
No reason why it wont work on a laptop too.

puffins808
08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
When you go to puppy there are MORE to choose from.

puffins808
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I am new to this so...I went to the site and I click on the link to download and it brings up a massive list. What do I do next? How do I download this. I already downloaded the software to burn it to a disk but now I am stuck. Sorry. Please help.

puffins808
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
OK...I am downloading it now. Will let you know what happens. Thank you for your help.

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Sorry, was away for a bit, something like this one
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso
I suppose.
When you've downloaded it, leftclick on the iso file and Nero (or any cd burning prog) should open and offer to burn the iso file into a bootable form on the disc (do not just copy the iso to a cd, it wont work).

puffins808
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I am in the process of downloading and burn it to disk. I ran the diagnostics via f10 and it came back no IDE device. Thought I would mention that to you. I am not very successful on getting on disk. When I go to browse and click on the iso file it only reads BOOT and i click on it and nothing is offered to choose.

puffins808
08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
When I did the leftclick nothing happened. I am using BurnCDCC. Do I unzip the file first?

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 11:53 AM
The file is not zipped; run Burncdcc first then, and browse for the iso file (whereever you saved it to, Desktop is easiest)), and select it to put it in the File Image box in Burncdcc, make sure you've got a cd in your dvd burner and click start.

That diagnostic result is not a good sign, "no IDE device" could be your hard drive has died. If so, you'll probably need some recovery discs (ring Compaq), and a new hard drive (this is all "worst case scenario" though, may be saveable:))

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry, am out for a few hours, maybe somebody else can assist you.

puffins808
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Ok this is the update. None of the files worked. I was playing around with the laptop and this is where I am now. On the screen it is black and says...

Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type exit to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
C:\>_

What do I type. I am sure I do not want to exit this. Please help on what I should do now.

Thank you in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Well only other thing you can try is remove it then connect it to a desktop. See if a desktop detects it, and you can see whats on it

puffins808
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Connect it via...what cable? Never did that before. Also I went to reinstall windows and I am at the setup BUT it says it can not read the CD i inserted or the CD is not a valid Win CD. Please insert the following win prod CD. I have winxp home edition in there. It says upgrade from win 98 etc. That is not considered a full version is it?

puffins808
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Also I read on this laptop with this issue and all it needs is update the BIOS. I have the update. How can I get it on there. I tried to put it in CD but having problems putting it on a CD.

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Depends what the hdd is (IDE or SATA). If its IDE connect it with a IDE cable. If its SATA connect it to a SATA connection. Also, if the hdd is IDE it may have to be jumpered (if you put it on the same IDE connection as something else). If the BIOS supports USB flash drives, put the BIOS update on it. Altho it'll have to be bootable as well

puffins808
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
As far as the winxp cd goes?

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
If its an upgrade cd then you probably need a windows 98 cd. To prove you had a windows cd. Only thing you can do as whats already been said, remove the hdd, see if there's ISO's on it / or see if it can read it. If a desktop can read the hdd, burn the ISO's on it (if theyre there)