Craig Mellor
07-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi, I just bought a new computer today;

Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
1GB Graphics
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

and I am someone who likes to update, so as soon as I finish the setup I go to windows update and there are 9 critical and 2 optional, mainly security, so I download and install these updates, and a restart is required. So I restart and all it is doing and has been for the past hour, sitting there saying that it is configuring and not to turn it off.

I turned it off a while ago and restarted in safe mode but that hasn't changed anything. Is there anything I can do to make it even log in?

Help needed urgently.

Thanks.

gary67
07-11-2009, 03:38 PM
restore it back to before they downloaded and then do them on at a time possibly

Craig Mellor
07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
It logged in in safe mode finally, but is it safe to restart again because I want it to run properly.

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I wouldnt turn it off. You've probably stuffed something up if it cant get into windows at all

Scouse
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Agree with Gary's approach. Whenever there are multiple updates, I tend to try to run them one or two at a time. Even run a System Restore between each if I have the time.

Craig Mellor
07-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Is there anything I can do? I don't have a Windows 7 Disc or anything to reinstall?

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2009, 03:52 PM
If its got a restore partition press whatever key to restore it. Next time, dont turn it off when it tells you not to turn it off. Then once its back to normal burn the ISO's if there's a program on it (and if there's ISO on the recovery partition). And if you brought it (if its got anything with symantec / nortons on it, uninstall it, before you update it)

Craig Mellor
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Where would this 'restore partition' be located.

Craig Mellor
07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I think I might just wait a hour or so because its come up saying 'Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
If its got one, it'll tell you to press a function key when you reboot. (on the post screen somewhere). To restore the system. But this will wipe everything. So, whatever you've installed, you'll have to reinstall.

feersumendjinn
07-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I think I might just wait a hour or so because its come up saying 'Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer.

Thanks.
I agree, leave it alone for now, some of those updates can be huge :sleep:lol:

Scouse
07-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Re: I agree, leave it alone for now, some of those updates can be huge

I reinstalled Vista Home Premium early last evening as an upgrade over the top of itself to overcome a problem I had. 91 updates later................ I went to bed at midnight and left it to it - update history shows that it finished at 2.35 am. Then installed SP 1 and SP 2 this morning.

CliveM
07-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks.

Be patient and wait for it to do its thing. DO NOT TURN OFF

mzee
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I run XP, Vista Premium & now W7.
I have never done Windows updates (except the service packs in XP), Vista has never missed a beat so does not even have Sp1. I would only update to cure a specific problem. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

Any problems I have are usually caused by me having a fiddle ;-)