PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here using Windows 7, want to use Windows Mail?

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Instead of Outlook, Windows Live Mail, or whatever? Well you can (even tho winmail.exe is hidden in program files and program files (x86), they dont work).

If you have 64 bit Vista handy, you need to copy windows mail from the program files, and program files (x86) folder in Vista 64 bit / then overwrite the windows mail folder in Program files and program files (x86), in Windows 7, for this to work (you may have to take ownership of the original window mail folders (to either overwrite them or delete them). Cant see why this wont work in 32 bit as well.

The other things you need, are 3 reg files. So:

1. It has a version. Without one of the reg files, the version says %

2. It keeps windows mail as the default email and news handler client (without one of the reg files, next time you go into windows mail, it'll annoy you with a window, asking if you want to make it the default email client).

3. It appears in default programs (Without the reg file, it wont appear in default programs).

So, anyway, I have these 3 files. I just have to upload them somewhere without signing up to anything. So, anyone want to use window mail in windows 7?? if you do, give me a yell (and hopefully some site).

Hopefully, this isnt against the rules. Its only 3 reg files (that you need to right mouse on / then merge), for windows mail to work (with windows 7).

And once you do the above, you need to create a shortcut (from either program files or the x86 folder. Either should work. And Bobs your uncle !

Blam
07-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Upload the files to media fire as a tarball/zip

Nice tip btw, I personally hate Windows Mail but Im bound to run into someone who doesn't want to migrate into another email client when they u/g to w7

Blam

pctek
07-11-2009, 07:07 AM
No thanks. I'll stick with Thunderbird.

gary67
07-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Have Outlook 07 but nice offer Speedy

Lawrence
07-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Speedy Has this anything to do with your files? http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/05/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/ , Tried to get win mail going when I Upgraded to Win7 RC 7100 in May ,did not get mail live going instead got Opera mail going

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Thats looks like it. The links to the reg files are on the bottom. Altho thats not where I downloaded them from

Lawrence
07-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Just downloaded,will look at them later
Cheers

Chilling_Silence
07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Whats wrong with Live Mail, as part of the Live Essentials pack? I use Gmail's WebGUI so wouldn't know, but I'm just asking ... it's much less hassle to install / use ;)

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
I've got the install file for it, but nah. I dont really use messenger. And the only thing I would install would probably be movie maker, and photo gallery. I did have Outlook, but I may install something else for the Ipod. Probably mediamonkey and something I can use to sync contacts with the Ipod

Chilling_Silence
08-11-2009, 06:23 AM
You don't have to use messenger to use Windows Live Mail though? It's literally the Outlook Express of Win7 ;)

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Oh well, too late now :p. I dont really use email a lot anyway

Chilling_Silence
08-11-2009, 08:18 AM
I rarely use a desktop client ;)

However, all that aside, if you want to post the files on somewhere like megaupload etc and link to it here, then be my guest, I'm sure there are people out there on the intrawebz0r somewhere who would be more than interested :)

Blam
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Whats wrong with Live Mail, as part of the Live Essentials pack? I use Gmail's WebGUI so wouldn't know, but I'm just asking ... it's much less hassle to install / use ;)

Some people find it hard switching from OE to Windows Mail, then all of a sudden switching to another new email client...

From power users' point of view, its easy, but for typical end users it isn't

That said though, I personally think WLM is pretty similar to WM..

Blam