PDA

View Full Version : Scanner error messages on laptop

noelevans
06-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I run a home network of two desktops and a laptop, all running XP Home. The laptop is connected wirelessly to my 3Com ASDL router, while the desktops are connected by IP over my home's power. My printer is an HP PSC 2110 connected to my main desktop PC, and is shared with the other PCs on my home network. I print from my laptop wirelessly to the printer without problems.

Just lately, I have started using the laptop for some accounting work I've undertaken, and every few hours I get the attached error message. I OK or close it, and carry on, but it keeps re-occurring.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get rid of this?

Cheers
Noel

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Usually you cant share a scanner. If you want to scan use the pc its connected to

noelevans
06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I don't want to use the scanner from the laptop. However, I have the HP driver software installed on the laptop. Maybe I don't need it if I'm running wirelessly to the desktop?

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Umm that depends on what the HP software drivers are for, if theyre not for anything else (the wireless, or anything on the laptop) you can uninstall them

Blam
07-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Try removing the printer from each of the machines, then plug it into each, let it install driver device software, plug it back into the main machine, then go into the printer properties for the client pcs and add a new standard tcp/ip port pointing to the "serving" pc with the printer connected.

Blam

noelevans
07-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Speedy and Blam. I took all print drivers off the laptop, and the problem has not re-appeared. I can still print wirelessly.

Blam
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Cool-its probably using some it found off WU now.

Blam