PDA

View Full Version : PC not booting

Buff_K
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Gday.

I have a desktop that will normally boot fine into XP. Last night it started to boot into windows then shut itself off. I tried booting into safe mode and it would get as far as loading the drivers then it would reboot and repeat.

I had a look into the bios and decided to change the boot order to HD, floppy, CD as there was a boot from CD message. Still the same thing happened.

At first I thought because it was shutting down (no beeps whatsoever) it could have been a powersupply issue or overheating then shutting off. I opened up the case and all fans running fine, and I have removed a lot of the dust build up. Rebooted and same problem. When I boot not into safe mode now instead of shutting down it flashes a blue screen momentarily before rebooting - no time to read blue screen.

I have another hard disk in this machine (the machine was mine and is now mum and dads) and I think the other hard disk is faulty and it is not currently connected (I can only connect one at a time as I need another - I think - SATA cable?). I connected up the spare/old hard disk and it booted fine into XP. So I presume things are fine regarding heat etc and the problem lies with the hard disk I am usually using.

I reconnected up the hard disk I wish to use and booted up again into safe mode. This time I have a new error as follows:

Verifying DMI Pool Data
Boot from CD:

Nvidia Boot Agent 201.0462
copyright .... etc
copyright ... etc
PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F Exiting Nvidia boot agent
Disk boot failure, insert system disk.

So.... it seems the boot loaders been removed from the hard disk? Any suggestions please? I don't have a backup boot disk.

If I had another SATA cable I could boot into the other hard disk then check to see if I can recover mum and dads data from the non-booting disk.

AvonBill
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
In the last two weeks I have been working on a PC that had the identical initial symptoms you have had. I used an Ultimate Boot CD to check the hardware and everything appeared fine. I tried an XP repair install but that didn't fix it. In the end I connected up the disk to another machine with a USB adapter and made a copy of all the data. I put the disk back and reinstalled XP afresh and all is now ok. Your disk sounds like it is in a similar state.

I find one of these things invaluable in helping to recover data.

http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=249342

Buff_K
06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
thanks mate.

Yeah I have now used UBCD and run a utility that found some errors and repaired them. I then rebooted and a chkdsk ran, I can now boot into windows and am backing up mum and dads stuff now.

Good stuff.

Buff_K
08-11-2009, 09:37 AM
After working for a while the PC has once again shut itself down. I tried turning it back on a couple of times immediately following this but it would quickly shut itself down again.

After waiting a few hours I booted up the UBCD and ran the same hard drive disk check and there were no errors. I noticed there was a memory test so I ran that. This failed at some point as the computer crashed and there was a continuous beep.

I removed one 1GB stick of memory and ran the test again, it passed with no errors and now the PC boots up fine again. I'm not sure if it will crash again tho, I am about to swap the Ram over and run the memory test on the other 1GB stick.

Is it likely to be a memory problem?

feersumendjinn
08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Yes, very likely.

Blam
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Definitely...

RAM can sometimes cause drive corruption..

Buff_K
08-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Definitely...

RAM can sometimes cause drive corruption..

Interesting.

Well I ran the memory test on the other 1GB stick and again it found no errors. So I've put both sticks in again and the PC's working fine for the time being. Dunno what the issue is, but fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Blam
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Interesting.

Well I ran the memory test on the other 1GB stick and again it found no errors. So I've put both sticks in again and the PC's working fine for the time being. Dunno what the issue is, but fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Problems like that don't just disappear..

fred_fish
08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Possibly not seated correctly and removing and reinstalling fixed it.
Keep those fingers crossed :)