PDA

View Full Version : The elusive msizap.exe

jno
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
On my Acer Inspire 3000 laptop running Windows XP SP3 and with a 60 Gb hard drive with some 26 Gb of C drive, I have only about 1 Gb of space left on the hard drive after moving a number of programs on to the D drive. I am told that I can clean up a lot of Windows Installer files using msizap.exe, but when I try to fire that file up, all I get is a flash of another window. I tried to open it in dos mode, but apparently XP doesn't have a dos mode. So I then tried opening msizap.exe in safe mode - with the same result . . a quick flash of another window and that's all. How do I get msizap.exe to run?

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
This is how you use it (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370523%28VS.85%29.aspx) you probably run it from the command prompt. Or use this instead (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)

Agent_24
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
You probably have to specifiy some parameters/switches before it will do anything.

Most likely it's just flashing an error message telling you that you didn't use the right syntax and then exiting.

You will need to load the command line first (cmd.exe) and then run msizap.exe through it.

THen you should be able to read any messages that come up

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
It'll do the same thing if you type something in from start/run. You use the command prompt

jno
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks folk; I have typed cmd.exe in the Run window, and then msizap.exe. But I then get the message "'msizap.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." However, I notice that the place where I have typed in msizap.exe is after "C:\Documents and Settings\John>" whereas the file was in the folder Program Files\Windows Installer Cleanup. I say "was" because I clicked on Speedy Gonzales "or use this instead", followed the prompts and finished up by eliminating that Installer Cleanup folder. However, it also caused the msizap.exe file to disappear - and they are not in the Recyle Bin! Oh dear! I have searched for msizap.exe on my computer and find that such a file now resides in Program Files\Logitech\QuickCamWebInstall\techsupt\MiscToo ls. Do I use that? And how do I enter all that into the black dos(?) window? Or . . . ? Incidentally, the deletion of the Windows Installer file didn't result in a huge amount of space becoming available. In fact, after having some 1.2 Gb available on the C drive a couple of days ago, I note that I now have only 630 Mb.
I am going out for about a couple or three hours, so will check again later in the afternoon.

Agent_24
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
You get the mesage "'msizap.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Because you are not in the correct directory.

As you said, you were in "C:\Documents and Settings\John>" yet the program was in Program Files\Windows Installer Cleanup

You would need to use the CD command (change directory) to go there.

Say you start at "C:\Documents and Settings\John>" you would type "CD \Program Files\Windows Installer Cleanup"

If that doesn't work, you may need to put quotes around the path

jno
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Thank you indeed! I'm on my way, but I've encountered another stumbling block. After I'd clicked on C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up" - after discovering that Clean Up was two words :( - I got a window which has quite a number of alternatives in it. First of all there is a list of 4 "miszap"s with, alongside: i) T[WA!] <product code> ii) T[WA!] <msi package> iii) *[WA!] ALL PRODUCTS iv) PWSA?!
Then underneath that
* = remove all Windows Installer folders and regkeys;
adjust shared DLL counts; stop Windows Installer service
T = remove all info for given product code
P = remove In-Progress key
S = remove Rollback Information
A = for any specified removal, just change ACLs to Admin Full Control
W = for all users (by default, only for the current user)
M = remove a managed patch registration info
G = remove orphaned cached Windows Installer data files <for all users>
? = verbose help
! = force 'yes' response to any prompt.
. . . and then there is a caution that products installed by the Windows Installer "may fail to function after using msizap", followed by a line:
"NOTE: MsiZap requires admin privileges to run correctly. The W option requires that the profiles for all of the users be loaded."
I presume that as this is a personal computer I am the 'admin'.
And then at the bottom of the page is the line
C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up>

What do I type in????? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the suffix (?) I want is "G". I've tried typing in "msizap G.exe" (without the quotes of course); I get the same window as above.