PDA

View Full Version : Sound recording

Bryden
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Everyone

I have been asked by an elderly (ssshhh.....) friend how to record stories which he wants to write to disk for his grandchildren in Canada etc. I think maybe Audacity is the way to go - or is there anything simpler please? Format - should he save the files as MP3 or what other suggestions are there?

This is something about which I know absolutely nothing.... so baby steps please...

Bryden

Dannz
05-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Audacity is good for this.
It is reasonably easy to record mp3s:

1. Open Audacity
(there may be a step here picking the bitrate)
2. Press record
3. When done, press stop.
4. File -> save as mp3.

Note that mp3's need the lame encoder, the software will bring up a prompt with instructions on how to install this when you try.

Bryden
05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Showing my ignorance (VBG) with is bitrate? Lame encoder? Is this another software required to save in the MP3 format?

TIA

Bryden

Dannz
05-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes Lame encoder is required by audacity.
Bit rate is the number of bits per second in an audio file.
For spoken word the default should be fine.

You can find a howto about setting up Lame for creating mp3s here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

However if you are writing to disk, wav is fine. It's higher quality than mp3.

Cyberhuskey
06-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Check out http://librivox.org where everybody can upload recorded public domain books. Most users there use Audacity. If you have any questions ask the question in the forum where one of the friendly LibriVoxers will help you.

Trev
06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi Everyone

I have been asked by an elderly (ssshhh.....) friend how to record stories which he wants to write to disk for his grandchildren in Canada etc. I think maybe Audacity is the way to go - or is there anything simpler please? Format - should he save the files as MP3 or what other suggestions are there?

This is something about which I know absolutely nothing.... so baby steps please...

Bryden
The first question to ask here which no one has is what is the source. Cd, record, tape or are they already on the computer.
:)

Bryden
06-11-2009, 08:45 AM
My friend wants to read the stories, using a microphone attached to the computer, and ultimately write them to CD so his grandchildren can listen to them, presumably using a "regular" CD player (not on a computer).....

Thanks (in advance) for any further advice....

Bryden

Bryden
06-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Woops, should have asked if the .wav format will play on CD players?

Bryden

Agent_24
06-11-2009, 10:05 AM
.WAV files will probably work on no CD players, MP3 might if the CD player supports it.

But normal audio CDs are in neither of these formats.

If you want to make a normal Audio CD, then save the files as either, it won't matter (mp3 is probably a better idea though if you want to save space) and when you burn the Audio CD (Make sure whatever burning program you use, you have chosen Audio CD) then it will automatically convert them for you anyway.

Bryden
06-11-2009, 10:13 AM
My friend has Nero on his computer - will this convert to an appropriate format for him please?

TIA

Bryden

Agent_24
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes, Nero will work fine. Just make sure you choose Audio CD

Bryden
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks so much for your advice - I do appreciate your help.

Bryden

Agent_24
06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
No worries :)

Remember, audio CDs measure in time and data CDs measure in megabytes. When you're making an audio CD, it's the length in minutes of the audio track that matters, not the size the mp3 or wave file is.