PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte Express Recovery

bk T
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Just completed Win7 set up and would like to make a complete system recovery backup using Gigabyte's Express2 utility as it works brilliantly in Vista. Here are my system specs:

MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS4P
HDD: WD 1TB Green
HDD Partitions:
1. 100MB - System Reserved -- created by Win7 setup
2. 200GB - C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
3. 736GB - Unalloacated

I assigned my old Seagate HDD partitions as: D: & E: (does this matter?)

When I boot up, Pressed F9 to load the Xpress2 Recovery Utiltity, it complaints that there isn't enough disk space to Backup! In fact, I have 736GB of unallocated disk space!

Where did I go wrong?

Sweep
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Just completed Win7 set up and would like to make a complete system recovery backup using Gigabyte's Express2 utility as it works brilliantly in Vista. Here are my system specs:

MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS4P
HDD: WD 1TB Green
HDD Partitions:
1. 100MB - System Reserved -- created by Win7 setup
2. 200GB - C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
3. 736GB - Unalloacated

I assigned my old Seagate HDD partitions as: D: & E: (does this matter?)

When I boot up, Pressed F9 to load the Xpress2 Recovery Utiltity, it complaints that there isn't enough disk space to Backup! In fact, I have 736GB of unallocated disk space!

Where did I go wrong?

You need to partition the unallocated space and create drive(s).

hueybot3000
05-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Unallocated space is space available to format on the drive. Create a partition.

Type computer management in the start menu search and open it. You can see hard drive partitions etc under storage

bk T
05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
You need to partition the unallocated space and create drive(s).

I created another 200GB partition but still no go. Same error message says that there is not enogh of HDD free space available!

I thought we need unallocated free disk space for this XpressRecovery utility to work? That's what I did for the Vista setup before Win7. Not too sure it's because of the 'System Reserved' partition created by Win7 that's creating the problem? I don't think this 'System Reserved' partition can be deleted??

hueybot3000
05-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Im not sure about the recovery, ive never used it. Just assumed that for it to use the hard drive it would need to be formatted beforehand.

The system reserved shouldnt be interferring with anything, its hidden. Does express recovery not give you any option for where the backup should go?

Its also possible that the recovery program needs to use another hard drive, but if you said it works with vista then probaly not.

Are there any bios updates available?

bk T
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Gigabyte's manual says:

"Xpress Recovery2 will check the first physical drive for the operating
system. Xpress Recovery2 can only backup/restore the first physical hard drive that has the operating system installed.

Xpress Recover2 will save the backup file at the end of the hard drive, MAKE
SURE TO LEAVE ENOUGH UNALLOCATED SPACE IN ADVANCE (10gig or more recommended).

I've much, much more free unallocated disk space than required but apparently, it doesn't work. There must be something wrong somewhere.

hueybot3000
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
is it at the end of the disk?

bk T
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
is it at the end of the disk?

How do I find out whether it's at the end or beginning of the disk? And, if it's not at the end, how do I move it around?

hueybot3000
05-11-2009, 05:50 PM
under storage again it has the partitions in the line, left being beginning and right being end. Im not 100% sure on that though

Gparted is a better partition manager if you can be bothered downloading and burning to disk

Blam
05-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Yep, should be one the right. If it isn't run gparted, and move it there.

bk T
05-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Just checked in disk management /Storage, the 'unallocated' disk space in on the right-hand side.

Blam
05-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Just Googled..looks like people have been spending years pulling their hair out over this problem:p

Maybe you should just use the built in W7 imaging tool..