PDA

View Full Version : Another telephone consultation question - PC freeezes on boot

Tony
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
My brother-in-law's desktop PC has taken to freezing at boot time. Apparently it does the POST and memory test, then when it starts on the IDE stuff, it just freezes. Pressing DEL to get into the BIOS doesn't do anything. It started this morning, and initially after a few attempts it would boot, but now it just refuses point-blank.

I suggested to him it could be anything from a bung CMOS battery to a general mobo failure. Can anyone narrow down the possibilities?

SolMiester
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Is it getting as far as booting the O/s, or freezing before hand?...this will let us know if its the hardware or device drivers for the o/s, though it does sound hardware related.....I would remove all non-essential hardware as in modem, all RAM but 1 dimm etc...all usb devices, and see what happens, could also try reset the dimms etc....cables blah blah...

pctek
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
My brother-in-law's desktop PC has taken to freezing at boot time. Apparently it does the POST and memory test, then when it starts on the IDE stuff, it just freezes. Pressing DEL to get into the BIOS doesn't do anything. It started this morning, and initially after a few attempts it would boot, but now it just refuses point-blank.

If it gets past POST, then HDD, if it doesn't then MB.

Tony
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
From his description, it is well before it gets to the OS. It sounds like it is at the part where it says "auto detecting" this that and the other.

If I was on the spot I would probably do what you are suggesting, but I think he will just take it back to PB Tech where it came from a couple of years ago.