05-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Hello everyone

here is my test environment-
-sbs 2003
- adsl internet username and password
- dynamic IP
- registered domain www.regdomain.co.nz
-ISP -telecom

Would it be possible to setup the exchange of sbs2003 even if I am just using dynamic IP.

any help/thoughts/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

thanks
shaider

Cato
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, no worries, you just need to use a dynamic DNS service.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/

I think there may be free ones you could use. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.

Erayd
05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Just note that you should never, ever use it to send mail directly if it's on a dynamic IP, you should always relay via some other mailserver. Usually this means you'll be relaying via your ISP's servers.

Cato
05-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Just note that you should never, ever use it to send mail directly if it's on a dynamic IP, you should always relay via some other mailserver. Usually this means you'll be relaying via your ISP's servers.

Any particular reason for it? To not end up liable for a spam attack?

CYaBro
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM

I do this on all our clients Exchange setups even if they have a static IP.

Erayd
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Any particular reason for it? To not end up liable for a spam attack?
There are several reasons, the most important of which is that almost all dynamic IP space in the global IPv4 pool is listed in the Spamhaus PBL (http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/index.lasso) and Zen realtime blocklists. Most mail providers will either reject your mail outright, or will flag it as spam and dump it, if you appear on these lists. If you have a static IP you can get that unblocked, but if you're on a dynamic IP you can't - it's marked as dynamic space, and you may have a different IP tomorrow.

Another reason is your mailserver's PTR record in DNS won't match its hostname - that's another red flag to spam filters, as it's a strong indication that the machine is a zombie (although many providers will still allow this kind of mail through, it will often get a very high spam rating - and many other providers will simply dump it.)

I do this on all our clients Exchange setups even if they have a static IP.
Very smart idea unless they're on a datacentre IP range, their own IP range, or you've removed the IP from the PBL and your ISP is happy to set PTR records. Most static ranges from consumer ISPs are blocked by default.

Edit: Once other note on relaying via ISP mailservers - if you are going to be sending a lot of mail, depending on your ISP, you may need to ask for a high-volume exemption on your account to avoid being auto-blocked by the ISP as a spam source. You may also need to request that TCP port 25 outbound is allowed, as many ISPs firewall this by default.

shaider
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies guys. Really appreciated it. Now I already have the idea on how to configure it properly.

more power!!

Thanks
Shaider
Mangere,AKL