PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation suddenly stopped working

mulgan
04-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I am using an HP 6230 laptop running Windows 7. Installed a new copy of Windows 7 without any problems and is working fine. It boots up very quick, nearly as fast as resuming from hibernation.

The problem that I have now is, after a few days ago is that hibernation no longer works. The laptop is setup to hibernate on closing the lid. Even if I select hibernate from the shut down menu, the laptop will not resume from hibernation later. When starting the laptop I get the message that Windows did not shut down properly.

Any clues as to why it no longer hibernates properly?

nedkelly
04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi welcome to pressf1. How much space do you have free on your hard drive?

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 01:29 PM
See what it says under power options / advanced power settings / power buttons and lid. Looks like there's an issue with some videocards (their drivers). Whats the video in it?

mulgan
04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I have 250mb HDD with plenty of spare capapcity.

I have checked advanced power settings - hibernation is enabled and set for when lid is closed.

Video uses ATI driver.

nmercer
04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I am using an HP 6230 laptop running Windows 7. Installed a new copy of Windows 7 without any problems and is working fine. It boots up very quick, nearly as fast as resuming from hibernation.

The problem that I have now is, after a few days ago is that hibernation no longer works. The laptop is setup to hibernate on closing the lid. Even if I select hibernate from the shut down menu, the laptop will not resume from hibernation later. When starting the laptop I get the message that Windows did not shut down properly.

Any clues as to why it no longer hibernates properly?

try this command from an elevated command prompt

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

SolMiester
04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I prefer sleep to hibernation...never worked that will for me!

gary67
04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I wake up very hungry if I try to hibernate. Short sleeps are better even then I wake up hungry. Wait I'm hungry now :thumbs: