PDA

View Full Version : Do I need Vista Service Pack 2?

tuiruru
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
This is the only Windows update that I haven't installed. Everything is running sweetly on my Laptop so what “extra” is the SP going to give me. It's also a potentially big download, I'm on a basic (ie read “slow”) broadband package with Telstra and I try and keep my data traffic to less than 1 GB a month (bet that makes a few of you fall over backwards!) so is it worth my doing and why? I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM
It may fix a few things / bugs. Where are you?? Maybe someone can send it to you somehow, if you want it. Is it 32 or 64 bit?

pcuser42
03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
We'd be lucky if we used less than 1GB a day. :stare:

There's one SP that adds Blu-ray burning support, but can't remember whether it's SP1 or SP2.

wratterus
03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Wow, on big time here have gone through 7GB this month already! :D

I would take your lappy along to an internet cafe, download the standalone package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en), pay the $2 and go home and install it. It's worth having, things are a bit quicker.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335036%28WS.10%29.aspx

There is a technical list of the changes. Some people also found a bunch of space was reclaimed on their C: drives after installing, I can't remember why that is there's an old thread on here somewhere about it.

Here's the major stuff that most people will find useful.

# SP2 integrates the Windows Vista Feature Pack for Wireless, which contains support for Bluetooth v2.1 and Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi Configuration. Bluetooth v2.1 is the most recent specification for Bluetooth wireless technology.

:D# SP2 improves performance for Wi-Fi connections after resuming from sleep mode.

# SP2 includes updates to the RSS feeds sidebar for improved performance and responsiveness.

:D# SP2 includes ability to record data to Blu-Ray Disc media.

:D# SP2 improves Windows Media Center (WMC) in the area of content protection for TV.

:D# SP2 removes the limit of 10 half open outbound TCP connections. By default, SP2 has no limit on the number of half open outbound TCP connections.

# Provides better error handling and descriptive error messages where possible.

# Improves manageability through logging in the system event log.

Blam
03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Yea, definetely grab SP2, mostly under the hood stuff but important nonetheless..

mzee
03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
NO!
If its running well leave it alone.

A friend has a laptop with Vista Permium which has run for 18 months with no updates except for anti-virus. It has never faltered.

pcuser42
04-11-2009, 07:31 AM
A friend has a laptop with Vista Permium which has run for 18 months with no updates except for anti-virus. It has never faltered.

Bad idea, especially if the antivirus software is Norton.

tuiruru
04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your input people especially the info and links you posted Wratterus. Most of what you detailed I don't need but following your second link says that if I install it thru' Windows update it will only be about 43 megs which isn't too bad.
An Internet Cafe, and at only $2? Not round here mate!

Cheers

wratterus
04-11-2009, 10:45 AM
An Internet Cafe, and at only $2? Not round here mate!
Cheers

True, where are you? Everything around here is $4 an hour / $2 half an hour / $1 for 15 mins, full up and full down. :thumbs: