PDA

View Full Version : Seagate U6 ST320410A HDD

Happy Harry
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi one and all
I have in front of me a Seagate U6 ST320410A HDD liberated from an industrial PC core.
The specs listed on the drive stipulate that it is a 20GB
However when formatting the drive it always comes out at 2.1Gb.
XPPro, Under Computer Management, Disk Managment, I can delete the partition but when I create a new partition and format we are back to 2.1Gb. I did find by Googling, that some of these drives have been truncated/destroked to fit the application that the particular PC runs.
I have downloaded Seagate tools but have found nothing in there that helps.
I know that the drive is of little use but now that I have tried to find out how to get it back to its real capacity, it is bugging me that I cannot find out how to do this.
If anyone can help relieve my torment brain, please let me know.

Cheers

bob_doe_nz
02-11-2009, 09:44 PM
It's a driver setting I think. If you do a google search for the drives model number, one of the first links is a PDF. (http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:7eSt-ENbTRQJ:www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/ata/u6pmrevb.pdf+ST320410A+jumper+settings&hl=en&gl=nz&sig=AFQjCNHO71szG31CA6ewph766NbPXF2kcg)

Page 25 on the right shows the jumper layout.

If you take a look at the drive from the pins. Look at the power socket. Next to it should be a set of 8 pins. The far right pair might have a jumper on it. Remove it and try formatting it.

Agent_24
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Either a jumper is being used to limit the capacity - or someone has use a program to change the capacity in the drive firmware.

Check the jumper, if that's not being used then download Seatools - there should be a restore capacity option or HDAT2 and use that to restore the native capacity.

I find HDAT2 to be a lot better...