PDA

View Full Version : XP Reformat on Dell not complete.

KeyboardBob
02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I have done a format to reinstall XP home edition on my Dell Dimenson 2400 today. It missed out a couple of important parts in the set up part, such as the licence serial number and the page to install either the typical or custom set up!
Now I have no sound and the screen resolution is set so I can't change it.
Where have I gone wrong?
Do I have to be connected to the internet for the serial licence, do you think.
All help and ideas gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Umm did you use the restore cd's / dvd's? It doesnt sound like it, if you have no sound. But this maybe the reason why it didnt ask for the key. If you have no sound or the resolution is wrong, you need to install drivers for both of them

KeyboardBob
03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Yes I did use the Reinstallation CD's that came with the machine. I also used a programme called Drivermax to back up the drivers, so I could reinstall them, however the resolution being what it is (640 x 480) I can't use the programme at all, as the window doesn't expand big enough to move to the next page. Tried dragging the edges but no go.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Umm, the restore cd's / dvd should have everything on it / them, inc drivers. They should have installed, when you reinstalled windows. You'll have to go to the dell site, search for the model then download then install the drivers

jwil1
03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Or use the drivers (old as they may be) on the supplied reinstall CDs.

You weren't prompted for the product key as it is integrated on the CD and it can detect you're using a Dell system.

wratterus
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Yep, the dell recovery CDs have never installed the drivers with the OS. There is a separate disk for that.

KeyboardBob
04-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Would this be a good time to install another operating system like Linux instead, do you think?
Is it easy to do?

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 01:39 PM
It maybe easy to do, but it'll take some time to get used to it

Blam
04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Would this be a good time to install another operating system like Linux instead, do you think?
Is it easy to do?

Boot from a live Cd and try it out first, see how it goes.

Try out Mint, seems to be a popular option for new users

sroby
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Sometimes restore CD's just dont work properly, occasionly they dont work at all. I often think that Restore disks have NEVER been tested with some PC's.
Just download the missing drivers from Dells website, or as mentioned, there may be another CD to run that installs software & drivers

KeyboardBob
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Well I have had a bit of luck by inserting the restall CD and just opening the install XP and was able to put the key numbers in.
Also downloading drivers from Dell helped, especially for the screen resolution.
I have to agree with sroby about the disc's not being tested. You get the impression they are just a token thing from the manufacture.
So far I have used the Drivermax programme to reinstall the backup drivers I saved before reformatting but a bit of a slow computer.
So it's back to the drawing board.
Mint I have never heard off, who puts this out and has anyone had any experience with it?

Cheers...

Blam
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Mint is based on Ubuntu, with its own "revised" interface which is pretty simple to use.

Try it out. Large community behind it too.

Blam

KeyboardBob
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Mint is based on Ubuntu, with its own "revised" interface which is pretty simple to use.

Try it out. Large community behind it too.

Blam

Now thats what I like to hear something uncomplicated i.e. simple.
I shut down the computer and turned it off at the switch at the back of the machine, left it for five minutes, then fired it up and Hey Presto, everything working well and up to speed (touch wood).
So thanks to everyones help and suggestions (for now at least), it is most appreciated.

Cheers. :thumbs:

Blam
07-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Ah the good old power cycle trick:D

Glad to hear it's all worked out for ya

Blam