PDA

View Full Version : SATA? ATA? PATA? ID-E?

SurferJoe46
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Can someone tell me what's new, newer, newest?

I think (I DO!) that I may have overused my 'puter when it was new and now it isn't - new, that is.

I find that I cannot install a SATA anything even though the new PSU has a power line for one - there's just NO place on the MOBO for a SATA cable end thing-y.

Is it (and am I) over the hill and need an update to a newer system?

IDE stuff is getting really hard to find. KInda like looking for a VCR I guess.

wratterus
02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Pretty much everything is SATA now. IDE equipment is still pretty easily accessible, but is getting more rare by the day.

Many older motherboards will not have SATA ports on them, many newer boards will only have one or even no IDE channels, but up to 10 SATA ports (4 or 6 is more common on normal consumer level boards).

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
SATA is master only (they dont use slaves, like IDE), and you can only have one connected to a power adapter. You also need a data cable (thats what the connection on the mobo is for)

ATA/IDE then SATA, then SATA 2, soon to be SATA 3

SurferJoe46
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I sent that other MOBO and case and stuff I won from Fry's to my oldest son - and it's going great for him.

I guess I should consider going N-E-W and bite the bullet.

Not being a gamer, but I love to store and rip and play vids and MP3/WMAs with what I have and I see no real change in the near future for me.

OK - you've got my attention - should I go Athlon again? I don't believe that I need a quad-core or want to even try that at my age.

1.7G was fast enough and with enough RAM and some 500G hdds again, can I just update to a new CPU and MOBO?

Is the Asus any good?

This gets into "forms" and "mini-v-full towers" and USB2 and Blueteeth or whatever it's now called.

What should I look for now? I want to build it and see it born before my eyes.

Remember: I'm NOT A GAMER!

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Depends what mobo you get, most use DDR 2 or DDR 3 (DDR 400 isnt compatible, and wont fit). So, you can keep the case, and hdd's. But you'll have to replace the ram, CPU, and mobo. You can still go AMD, but it'll probably be a dual-core, not single core. Anything will do, if its just for browsing. But if youre into something like watching HD whatever, get one that either has HDMI / VGA and DVI on it ( to save you buying one). Or buy a separate PCI-E card

Paul.Cov
02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Or buy a separate PCI-E card

I fully endorse Speedy's last comment - if you have a spare PCI slot, just add a PCI adapter card that will allow a couple of SATA drives that way. Apart from the always nervous bit of figuring out the RAID configuration (or the non RAID option) it's otherwise a piece of cake, and the card is really handy on those later occasions when all your hardware is SATA only, but you suddenly want to retrieve something off that aging IDE drive that you've put aside as a backup.

SurferJoe46
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Trying to clear the fog from my thoughts - this is what I find at a fairly disreputable dealer here in the US:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H Motherboard
Gigabyte: FRYS.com #: 5841693

45nm AMD Socket AM3 processor Ready!

AMD 780G + SB700 Chipset

* Ultra Durable 3 Technology with copper cooled quality for lower working temperature
* Revolution energy saving design with Easy Energy Saver technology
* Supports AMD Phenom/ Athlon series processors
* Dual Channel DDR2 1200+ for remarkable system performance
* Built-in 128MB DDR3 1066/ 1333(OC)MHz SidePort Memory
* Integrated ATI Radeon HD3200 graphics (DirectX10)
* Ultimate graphics performance with PCI-E 2.0 x16 interface with ATI Hybrid CrossFireX support
* Blu-ray playback supported by high quality 106dB SNR ALC889A HD audio
* Supports Dolby Home Theater audio to enjoy a rich surround sound experience
* Integrated HDMI/ DVI interface for Full HD 1080 Blu-ray playback with HDCP
* Patented DualBIOS with dual hardware BIOS protection
* 100% 50,000 hours lifespan of Japanese solid capacitors design

Does this look worthwhile to youse guys? It's $49.95 USD.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Anything cheaper than $50 is worthwhile :p You wouldnt get anything as cheap as that here. Esp when its got 12 USB ports, and firewire on it

SurferJoe46
04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Anything cheaper than $50 is worthwhile :p You wouldnt get anything as cheap as that here. Esp when its got 12 USB ports, and firewire on it

So-o-o give me a hint of what I should get for it on the side.

More RAM?
What do you see as to the count of HDDs? How many can I get in? (No external ones wanted). I guess I should consider a tall tower/case again.

Do SATAs run JBOD or Striping?

Remember that I rip-store-play beucoup DVDs and MP3s. Will this render vids and audio decently?

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I take it, this is the mobo you're buying (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3016&ProductName=GA-MA78GPM-UD2H)

Looks like its got 5 SATA 2 ports. So 5 in the case. If the case is big enough.

Bear in mind, the PSU will have to have 5 SATA power connectors on it (or you'll have to buy 5+ molex adapters). Only thing with these theyre not that good.

Depends what the mobo / chipset supports. re: jbod, RAID etc. Looks like this supports SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 and JBOD.

You'll have to buy different ram, to whats in your system now (if its not DDR 2 ram). Anything can rip DVD and music. If you use a video cam or something with firewire on it, get a case with a firewire connection / port on the front. It can come in handy. Since its got firewire onboard. You wont need a separate video card. Since its got HDMI / VGA / VGA onboard. Once you buy the mobo, I would show the shop the mobo, when you buy the PSU. The PSU maybe different / may need something extra. Than the usual PSU (extra connections on it)

SurferJoe46
04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Good ideas. I'll get the board and take it with me to get the case and the CPU.

I like a lot of fans and Athlons like a lot of cooling. I'm not happy unless the tower sounds like a herd of Sikorskys taking off.

Do I need to know the "form-factor" to get the tower and the CPU?

The last time when I won something as complicated as this - it was all a big package and I gave it to one of my sons, so I never messed with it at all.

The Soyo - on the other hand was born on my bedroom floor and has been running ever since I assembled it about 7-years ago. :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Looks like its an MATX mobo. So, you can put it in an ATX or MATX case. The other PC here, is in an MATX case. Depending on what you put in it, things can get a bit tight.

If you want lots of fans, you'll have to get a case, with the cutouts for the fans. Only thing is, a mobo can only take / support so many fans (it doesnt look like this mobo has that many fan headers). You'll have to get fans with molex adapters / connectors on them, so you can connect them to the PSU.

Also, depending on WHAT CPU you get, (if the BIOS doesnt support it), once you put it together, it wont work. The BIOS will HAVE to be flashed first. And if this happens (if you buy a higher CPU than what the BIOS supports, you'll have to take it back to the shop (so they can put a lower spec CPU in it), so they can flash it. Then put the CPU you've brought back in. So it'll work.