PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 low memory

Mirddes
02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I have win 7 64bit and 4GB of ram.
I don't have a page file.
I don't want a page file.
I do however want windows 7 to stop bugging me when i only have 800MB memory free.
its annoying, bad design, etc.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Why don't you want one? If it's never being used then what's the problem?

GameJunkie
02-11-2009, 05:24 PM
i thought the page file was important and necessary.

chill?

SolMiester
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I do however want windows 7 to stop bugging me when i only have 800MB memory free.

Annoying bad design?, since when have you been a system designer?....do you know what a page file is for?

CYaBro
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
4GB is not enough to operate without a page file anyway is it?
I would have thought 8GB would be the minimum.

You could operate without a page file but it would slow the machine down.

GameJunkie
02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
the less RAM a system has, the larger the pagefile is likely to be. If enough RAM is present there may be no pagefile.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah basically it's not going to hurt it leaving it there. There's debate about if you even gain much (if any) performance by putting it on a RAM-disk, so don't even bother. If you have enough RAM, it won't be actively using it, so just do the right thing and "Let Windows manage my Pagefile" ;)

Sweep
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Another troll perhaps?

Linux does not have a page file and you can always use MSdos which had no pagefile either.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
the less RAM a system has, the larger the pagefile is likely to be. If enough RAM is present there may be no pagefile.

Dont know about that. I use 8 GB, the pagefile is the same size. And it exists.

GameJunkie
02-11-2009, 10:53 PM
i got that from a website,

it depends i guess

Mirddes
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
not a troll.

pagefiles are fine, windows 7 bugging me when i have ~800MB free memory left is bad design, im quite capable of managing my remaining memory myself.

Linux does have pagefile functionality, its referred to as swap.

The pagefile acts as a virtual substitute for Physical memory when one doesn't have enough. this prevents apps from crashing when the system runs of out memory.
with ram being so cheap and 4GB being roughly enough for my needs i don't feel i need a pagefile, and if that changes ill buy another 4GB.
i just dont want windows 7 bugging me when i only have 800MB free.
i must note that even with a page file this still happens but my system gets unresponsive first.

I notice the performance gains from not having a page file. I like it.

Chilling_Silence
03-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Another troll perhaps?

Linux does not have a page file and you can always use MSdos which had no pagefile either.
Partly true. It has an entire partition usually dedicated to it, though you can have a loopback partition / filesystem within a file, but that's generally not done these days...

pagefiles are fine, windows 7 bugging me when i have ~800MB free memory left is bad design, im quite capable of managing my remaining memory myself.
Really? That's pretty impressive, as I've got around 30 tabs open right now in Chrome, Firefox open doing some other stuff, several documents in Word, Media Player going, Assassins Creed in the background, pidgin, dvdshrink copying, windows dvd maker (Editing my wedding video) converting some stuff an I'm still only using around 3GB. You must be doing a *lot* of stuff ... However that said, the remaining memory will be cached, you can view this in the Performance Tab of the Task Manager. It should be cached and the OS does a good job of knowing what to keep and what not to keep.

with ram being so cheap and 4GB being roughly enough for my needs i don't feel i need a pagefile, and if that changes ill buy another 4GB.
You might feel it's enough for your needs, but apparently Win7 disagrees. Why not invest in another 4GB now, problem solved?

i just dont want windows 7 bugging me when i only have 800MB free.
i must note that even with a page file this still happens but my system gets unresponsive first.

I notice the performance gains from not having a page file. I like it.
Unresponsive when using the page file? That's not quite right.

I dunno about you but when I was messing with the linux kernel for a while, I basically had a small swap file but I changed the kernels behavior on memory management. When it was almost out, it would kill the oldest process that wasn't being used, but still taking up some decent RAM. Unfortunately a lot of the time, it meant that Firefox would randomly disappear into thin air. Trust me, it's worth having a Swap File, or go buy more RAM as you said you would.

JJJJJ
03-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I have no pagefile with Win 7 64 bit. 12 gigs of ram. Page file unnecessary.

Just out of curiosity, why use 64 bit if you only have 4 gigs ram?

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Well it will still see more ram, than 32 bit. And there may be more room on the mobo to add more ram later