PDA

View Full Version : WinNT Stop 7B Inaccessible Boot Device

inphinity
02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey All,

We have an old machine still running NT4 Workstation. It runs a custom application which doesn't work on newer OSes for some bizarre reason, hence still using NT4 on it.

However, the other day I pulled the HDD out, and created an image of it with Acronis Backup & Recovery 10, which we periodically do so we can restore the machine if the drive fails or anything.

However, after putting the HDD back in the PC (no hardware changes at all), it BSODs on bootup with Stop 7B, Inaccessible Boot Device.

Now, I've seen this plenty of times before when changing hardware (replacing motherboard, imaging to a new PC etc) and being related to disk controller drivers. But I'm totally stumped whats caused it here.

I've tried restoring the backup image we just took, and it gets the same error.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Is the hdd the boot drive in the BIOS?? Is the virus option in the BIOS disabled?

inphinity
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes and Yes, and no BIOS changes were made in between it working, and it not working. I am getting the feeling that perhaps somehow connecting the drive in a different PC has stuffed the MBR or something, and that this has happened as soon as the machine booted, prior to the backup being done. Plausible?

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 11:14 AM
When you pulled the hdd out, what did you install it in (this is probably why it crashed). Whatever you installed it in, isnt in the case you took the hdd out of. ie: Its got a different CPU in it?

And one site says this:

Acronis Universal Restore

Images of computers running Microsoft Windows cannot simply be restored to different hardware as Windows will typically fail at boot time with a STOP: 0x0000007B error screen if the proper Microsoft Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and/or storage drivers are not installed in the operating system at boot time. Acronis Universal Restore is designed to overcome this problem. Universal Restore[7] is an add-on utility for True Image Echo versions running under Windows, and is designed to replace the HAL and inject updated storage drivers embedded within the image during the recovery process, allowing an image of a machine to be restored to different hardware.

In other words, the system you installed the hdd in (and backed up), doesnt match (ie: drivers / hardware / cpu), the system you removed the hdd from.. Result a crash.

inphinity
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I didn't try to boot from the drive, or restore it or anything, I simply plugged it in to the IDE controller, ran Acronis and created a backup image on to a USB drive. So yes the backup was done in a PC with different hardware, but that shouldn't automagically screw the HAL?

And we ahve Universal Restore as part of the license, and using this hasn't resolved the issue :( Thanks for the input though :)

zqwerty
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Bent pin/s on H.D.D. socket? have a look, repair carefully with needle nosed pliers, don't repeatedly bend pins to correct orientation.

inphinity
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion :) Checked that, and no problem there. Hrmm this is a pain lol.

jwil1
03-11-2009, 11:40 AM
A bit of an avoidance solution than actually fixing it, but what about running it in a VM? Not cloning the drive to a VM, but clean installing just NT4 and the weird app. :)

Agent_24
03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Check the drive for bad/reallocated sectors

Possibly during your cloning (which would have had to read all the data) a sector may have failed.

Just coincidentally it probably corrupted something and is now causing your BSOD.

Under normal operating condiditions, this sector was probably never read and thus never showed up as faulty.

Which is why people should always do a full test of their entire drive periodically!

inphinity
03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Just ran chkdsk with the /f /r options on the drive, no file system errors or bad sectors found. Also tried restoring the image to another known-good IDE drive and same problem continues.

I also tried now converting the image to a VMWare disk, but that BSODs with the same error!

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Have you tried creating an image on the computer it was installed in? To see if it does the same thing? If it doesnt crash, then you'll know that its because its plugged into another system, thats making it crash

inphinity
03-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Have you tried creating an image on the computer it was installed in? To see if it does the same thing? If it doesnt crash, then you'll know that its because its plugged into another system, thats making it crash

It won't boot in the PC its from, and I don't have any way to connect something to image to from there :(

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Did it boot or do anything at all (before you removed the hdd / used Acronis on it, in another system, then put it back in the PC it was in)? Or was it crashing with the same BSOD as well?

inphinity
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
It was operating fine prior to removing the drive for backup.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmm looks like you can get that stop error, if the hdd is SATA, the SATA drivers arent installed, (it cant find the hdd, which is what that stop error means), but this hdd is IDE, isnt it?

johnd
03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
If I remember correctly, NT4 boots off a FAT16 partition then proceeds to load the OS off the NTFS partition. So a thought - doing a chkdsk is probably checking the NTFS partition - if there is a fault on the FAT16 partition it will still be there perhaps?

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
This sounds like a similar prob (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240843) but with XP. And it was fixed:

Well, I ended up doing it the old fashioned way and put the original hard drive back on the original motherboard and booted it into Windows. Then I went into the device manager and changed the hard drive controller to the Windows default 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' and then I took that hard drive out and plugged into the IDE controller on the new motherboard and it booted. From there I used Acronis to clone it to the new hard drive and then started to install all the drivers that came with the new motherboard CD.

But this wont help since it wont boot on the original PC. So, it maybe the disk controller thats causing the BSOD

inphinity
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, it's IDE, and it's the same disk controller as it was working on before. Johnd, there is only the one partition on the drive, an NTFS partition.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
What service pack was on it??

johnd
03-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it's IDE, and it's the same disk controller as it was working on before. Johnd, there is only the one partition on the drive, an NTFS partition.

I was convinced I was right about the FAT16 partition - do you have another drive installed with a FAT16 boot partition on it?

inphinity
04-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Speedy - SP3, heh.
Johnd - Yes, we have one other WinNT Machine, though its Win NT Server SP6a, and it has 2 NTFS partitions only.

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Did you create an ERD disk for Windows NT? It still sounds like the cause is because you backed it up on another computer, then put it back in the original system / or it has something to with the controllers / or its because you used USB to back it up. It may even be because it hasnt got the latest SP on it

inphinity
04-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Nope, no ERD. I only recently became involved with the site, and noone seems to have any records or information on anything that was done before. No license keys, no installation media (for the OS or any applications), one previous backup image from 2 years ago (yet apparently this was done every few months) which, surprise surprise, BSODs on bootup. This is getting more fun. I think you're right, that it's perhaps some dodgy controller driver issue. Anyone know of a way to inject a standard Microsoft ATA Controller driver in to NT4 Workstation? heh

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 11:42 AM
It sounds similar to this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us)

inphinity
04-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, same error - but again thats talking about the issue when you move to new hardware, and the resolution involves booting in the original PC and making changes before the move. :( thanks though.

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Does it say more than Stop 7B, Inaccessible Boot Device.??

WHAT does the whole stop error say?