PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive issue

DeSade
01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Is it possible to map a network drive which is a physical hard drive within the same machine to a folder on C:/

Would this have the desired effect to allow things to be installed on the 2nd physical drive with the system still seeing it as C:/?

With everything installing to C:/ on the current windows OS's space is becoming a issue again.

Any other solutions to this other than a "bigger hard-drive" What can I safely move off my C:/ to recover space?

Can anyone recommend or give me a link to a file that I can use to prepare the disks for installation of W7
I would like to format them all and remove a few partitions before installing.

jwil1
01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
With NTFS I think you can do this. I'll look into it for you :)

Edit: have a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889

Blam
01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes, it is, not sure if you can map it to C: though..

Using the SUBST command line tool
http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html

You can move your page file, but don't do it manually. Go into My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Under performance select settings

As for deleting/formatting partitions you can do that during the W7 installation stage. If you need to shrink/expand partitions as well, use Gparted

Blam

DeSade
01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I used GParted to repartition a 500gb drive yesterday and it took 9hours to do it.
Looking for something a lot quicker than that.

Also one of the drives I would like to format from Disk Management is a old XP install that is no longer used, any way to do this, the format option is grayed out.

gary67
01-11-2009, 01:17 PM
yes use gparted to format that drive

Blam
01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I used GParted to repartition a 500gb drive yesterday and it took 9hours to do it.
Looking for something a lot quicker than that.

Also one of the drives I would like to format from Disk Management is a old XP install that is no longer used, any way to do this, the format option is grayed out.

Gparted, or a Vista boot CD. Partitioning does take a while, its not really gparted's fault...