PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Update problems?!?

Paul Ramon
01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
SWMBO's work computer completly crashed this week - while she was on holiday thankfully. Her boss called in a a local tech who said it was caused by the latest Microsoft updates and he has fixed 'heaps' of computers lately with the same problem. I have spoken to other techs who seem unaware of this issue and have done all new updates on 3 other machines myself with no problems.
Has anyone else encountered problems? or is this tech just telling porkies - I know he's not fully trained.....

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2009, 11:30 AM
There was an issue if you installed an update (KB97387) on 64 bit vista. It crashed. This affected HP systems. What version of windows is on it?

Paul Ramon
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
There was an issue if you installed an update (KB97387) on 64 bit vista. It crashed. This affected HP systems. What version of windows is on it?

Ooppss! Win XP Pro SP3 32 bit. Sorry should have mentioned that eh.

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Did the tech say WHAT update? Or do you know what update the tech is talking about? Only update I can think of is SP3, if youre using an HP. It rebooted continuously. Whats the specs of this system?

evrypc
01-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Hmmm... May not be updates anyway. Porkies probably :lol:. There are almost infinity ways windows can go wrong so im guessing its something else. What is the current status of the laptop?
:)

Paul Ramon
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Did the tech say WHAT update? Or do you know what update the tech is talking about? Only update I can think of is SP3, if youre using an HP. It rebooted continuously. Whats the specs of this system?

No he didn't say which update only that 'heaps' of people have been having problems. SP3 has been on the system for quite a while and all MS updates are performed automatically.
Not sure of specs but I know its AMD about 2yrs old (not a DELL inquent) & 2Gb RAM 320Gb HDD.... somehow think the tech guy doesn't really know the problem/cause at all though.

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2009, 05:41 PM
and all MS updates are performed automatically.

Thats one reason, why you SHOULDN'T put updates on automatic. They can crash a system. If the hdd wasnt formatted, you could have checked what was in event viewer. By going to start/run type eventvwr. Then looked under system for X's or !'s / bugchecks entries.

Paul Ramon
02-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Thats one reason, why you SHOULDN'T put updates on automatic. They can crash a system. If the hdd wasnt formatted, you could have checked what was in event viewer. By going to start/run type eventvwr. Then looked under system for X's or !'s / bugchecks entries.

Since the automatic updating feature delivers high-priority updates only and being a small office situation where employees are not totally IT savvy, this is the best option for them. Optional updates must still be accessed from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update site Custom scans.
As the OS wasn't reinstalled I can check the event viewer for them Wednesday when the missus goes back to work.