PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 oem good or bad?

smithinator
31-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi i have almost completed my new build and am looking for a new os and in my search i found that OEM versions of the software eg vista 7 where cheaper than the non OEM version my question is what is the difference between them and is OEM good or bad? does it have any downsides compared to the original software?

Thanks in advance:thanks

gary67
31-10-2009, 06:42 PM
OEM basically means if it all goes pear shaped you get no help from MS but I use OEM versions without any hassles I have OEM win 7 on this machine. Technically you shouldn't be able to buy OEM without buying some essential piece of hardware at the same time as it is aimed at system builders such as HP or Dell

smithinator
31-10-2009, 08:53 PM
so i cant buy it unless i buy some piece of hardware as well?

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Yup. Altho, it doesnt matter (usually) what the hardware is

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Anything, even an IDE / SATA Cable, is considered acceptable by many retailers.

gary67
01-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Ascent will let you though I got my win 7 from them without any

Chilling_Silence
01-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Some also turn a blind eye and "presume" you're going to be installing it on a complete PC for resale. Others simply just don't care ;)

smithinator
01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
ok thats fine cos im going to buy most of the stuff at the end of the year so ill just purchase this at the same time. i was also wonder is buying windows vista home premium with a windows 7 upgrade good or bad, does this mean you first install windows vista and then enter a code turning it into windows 7? and is there any downsides to vista upgraded to windows 7 compared to proper windows 7? because the one im looking at comes with an upgrade. thanks

gary67
01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Why would you bother?

CliveM
01-11-2009, 10:26 AM
ok thats fine cos im going to buy most of the stuff at the end of the year so ill just purchase this at the same time. i was also wonder is buying windows vista home premium with a windows 7 upgrade good or bad, does this mean you first install windows vista and then enter a code turning it into windows 7? and is there any downsides to vista upgraded to windows 7 compared to proper windows 7? because the one im looking at comes with an upgrade. thanks

Better to go straight to W7 IMO

smithinator
01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
sorry why would i bother with what?

feersumendjinn
01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
This should explain it

How does the Windows 7 Upgrade Option work?

The Windows 7 Upgrade Option is available through participating PC manufacturers on selected PCs and through Microsoft on qualifying purchases of the Windows Vista packaged product. The Windows 7 Upgrade Option applies to Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate editions. Your Windows 7 upgrade will be to the comparable version: so you'll get either Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional (the upgrade to Windows Vista Business), or Windows 7 Ultimate, respectively. The Windows 7 Upgrade Option program runs from 26 June 2009 through 31 January 2010. Individual PC manufacturers may choose to offer the option for a shorter period on their PCs. Offer details, prices, and upgrade delivery methods will vary. For details for new PC purchases, please check the manufacturer's web site. For purchases of retail packaged software, please go to the Windows 7 Upgrade Option fulfilment site for retail packaged software. (https://fulfillment.msapoc.com/Direct/Fulfillment/TechG/Windows-7/Overview.aspx?CountryCode=NZL&locale=en-us)

And in regards to OEM, you can only install it on one computer (it's "tied" to that machine once you activate it, and may not be transferred to another even if the 1st is destroyed (unlike a full or upgrade version, which can be transferred), that's why it's cheaper ;), also M$ are quite strict on machine hardware upgrades with OEM and will make you reactivate (within 3 days or else!) if you add a extra harddrive or similar :groan:. Otherwise the OS is complete in every way AFAIK, with no gotchas.

smithinator
01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
so when i install any new hardware i must reactivate windows 7? and does reactivating it cost any extra money? thanks for all the help

gary67
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Why would you bother installing Vista then upgrading to Win 7 seems a strange thing to do now that 7 has been released

feersumendjinn
01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes, and no (very unlikely, unless they make you buy another licence because you've made lots of hardware changes (think you're allowed up to four or six in one go), if it it comes to that, you can just ring them and explain and they should give you a new code number (at no cost)).

smithinator
01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
i am buying vista with the upgrade because it is $50 cheaper to do it that way than to buy windows 7. So when i put in my new HDD i wont have to reinstall/reactivate anything, i just want to make sure as i plan to continue upgrading over time

PCT Joe
01-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I didnt have to buy anything with my windows xp sp3 oem... (from playtech)

although i did just buy a computer 3 weeks prior from them with no os ;)

evrypc
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
If its cheaper go for it! MS does not give you excellent help though either,
isnt that what this site is for? :lol:
Nice to see that there is a big rush for Windows 7

Agent_24
02-11-2009, 10:13 AM
This should explain it

And in regards to OEM, you can only install it on one computer (it's "tied" to that machine once you activate it, and may not be transferred to another even if the 1st is destroyed (unlike a full or upgrade version, which can be transferred), that's why it's cheaper ;), also M$ are quite strict on machine hardware upgrades with OEM and will make you reactivate (within 3 days or else!) if you add a extra harddrive or similar :groan:. Otherwise the OS is complete in every way AFAIK, with no gotchas.

Does this only apply to Windows 7?

I have an OEM version of Windows XP which I have reinstalled too many times to count - used to be Norton's fault usually (enough times that I know my product key without having to look at the sticker!)

I think there is actually a difference between the OEM you can buy at any PC shop with hardware, and the kind that would come preinstalled on your HP/Dell/Compaq etc.

I have tried to reinstall one of these using my own OEM CD and their product key (recovery partitions are stupid because they contain all the crapplications that require and extra 2GB of RAM) and it didn't accept the key. Yes this was same version, original non-servicepack XP.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
The OEM that comes with a system probably comes with drivers etc. So, once you use the recovery cd / dvd, everything works. Which will save you installing them later. Whereas, an OEM version wouldnt have the drivers, and nothing would work, until you download the drivers etc then install them.