PDA

View Full Version : Networking made simple?

Chris Randal
29-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I work from home and have an Acer Aspire M1641 desktop.

If it breaks down I can't work, and also I tie up the PC during the day so that wife can't play on Facebook and the kids get no PC time.

I am going to take advantage of the Harvey Norman 40 months interest free deal at the weekend and I have ordered a 4 port wired modem (100 wireless) from Telecom.

Can anybody walk me through the set up for networking these two computers? I'd quite like to have network printing if possible.

AFAIK the M1641 does not have wireless capability but should I go for wireless for the new PC? The M1641 has an Ethernet card - can that work wirelessly?

Anything else I should be worried about?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

SolMiester
29-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Just follow the instructions the come with the router, you will be fine

Chris Randal
29-10-2009, 10:36 PM
So Wireless will work with the Ethernet card?

SolMiester
29-10-2009, 10:39 PM
So Wireless will work with the Ethernet card?

No, but a $50 addin wireless card will!

Chris Randal
29-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Is that one for which I must open the box?

That would then void my warranty.

Is there a USB stick I can buy?

I am really dumb here and this is why I said "Networking made simple".

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2009, 11:04 PM
There are USB sticks, but before you buy 1, check what encryption it supports. You'll need it to make it secure. Shouldnt be a prob sharing a printer wirelessly, its basically the same as if it were wired. WHERE in NZ are you Chris?

DeSade
29-10-2009, 11:22 PM
You could have a set up like mine, one PC is wired into the modem the others run of the wireless network.

Chris Randal
29-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Auckland Speedy, I still have to contact you over a HDD problem you said you might be able to help with.....

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2009, 12:00 AM
A ok then..Well let me know if I can help. I'm in Mt Eden. Send me a PM. What was the prob with the hdd again?? Did you delete something?

Chris Randal
30-10-2009, 07:52 AM
And I'm in Manurewa

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=102053

Many thanks

Blam
30-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I work from home and have an Acer Aspire M1641 desktop.

If it breaks down I can't work, and also I tie up the PC during the day so that wife can't play on Facebook and the kids get no PC time.

I am going to take advantage of the Harvey Norman 40 months interest free deal at the weekend and I have ordered a 4 port wired modem (100 wireless) from Telecom.

Can anybody walk me through the set up for networking these two computers? I'd quite like to have network printing if possible.

AFAIK the M1641 does not have wireless capability but should I go for wireless for the new PC? The M1641 has an Ethernet card - can that work wirelessly?

Anything else I should be worried about?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Should be pretty simple.

Make sure both PCs have the networking adapter set to "Automatically get Network settings"

Then, buy a USB wireless adapter(TP-Link, Linksys are good) and plug it in then using Wireless Configuration Zero(not the program that will come with the USB Wireless adapter) and conect to your wireless network.

Make sure your Wireless security settings are on WPA/WPA2

As for printer sharing-put both the PCs on the same workgroup, then right click the printer plugged into the PC>share and then connect to it from the other PC

Blam

Chris Randal
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Well that was a piece of cake.

All I have to do now is work out how the get the two PCs to talk to each other so that we can share whats on each machine.

How do I set up passwords to do this?

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Well I wouldnt share everything. Well you probably cant, without having probs

So, what will you be using? Wireless or wired?? If wireless, just put a password in at either end. For the sharing disable simple file sharing. Then you wont need a password