PDA

View Full Version : Hardware problem?!

nzjab06
28-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I seem to be having some serious issues with my laptop. I believe it is a hardware fault due to the way events transpired. It began a few months ago when the computer crashed while playing Madden 2007. It just stopped working. After that time, when I turn it on, XP startup takes a minute or two, much longer than it used to take. Performing tasks on the computer is also a lot slower and it seems to always communicating with the hard drive (shown by the almost non-stop showing of the hard-drive led). You can also hear it. Recently it has decided to begin freezing occasionally when doing something like playing music or watching a movie. I also have not been able to play the game since that first day as it just never seems to load the program. Dont know why. Today I also, for the first time, got the blue screen of death. Dont know what my computer is telling me, but its definitely not good. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

the computer is a Toshiba M30, Xp SP3, Pentium M processor 1700Mhz, 512 Ram, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Blam
28-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Few things to do..

1. Disable Automatic Restart and when it BSOD's, give us the error code and file/driver mentioned. Right click My Computer>properties>advanced>under "startup and recovery" select settings>Untick "Auto Restart"

2. Download Memtest, extract the ISO, then burn the ISO as an image to a CD(use ImgBurn if you don't have an image burning program) then run a few passes.
http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

3. Check the Event Log(run>eventvwr) for any frequent errors under the System section and paste them here

Cheers
Blam

nzjab06
28-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, thanks Blam. I'll have to do that tomorrow then I'll report back

nzjab06
28-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Just one thing, it doesnt usually go to the blue screen of death. Today is the first time it has happened and so I have no idea when it may do so again. And so the information on the driver error and error code may not be forthcoming in the immediate future.

Blam
28-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Here, use this:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Nifty little utility that can analyze the system dump from theBSOD tell you possible drivers and files they may have causes the BSOD. Copy and paste anything relevant here.

Blam