PDA

View Full Version : Project Mini - Week one - The Case

PCT Joe
28-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok so im going to start building a computer as a hobby, getting 1 part per week and putting it together with little guide etc.
It will be very similar to project beast however every week I will put up a poll for the weeks part.
As for what happens at the end? who knows? I guess ill sell it.

The first week is the case

We have three options this week. all atx(keeping in mind this is a budget computer)

First Option:
Antec Three Hundred Gaming ATX Case Black (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=6318)
Cost: $131.49 Including GST and Postage(Rotorua)

Second Option:
Thermaltake V9 Mid Tower Gaming Case with Window (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=7122)
Cost: $166.31 Including GST and Postage(Rotorua)

Third option:
Cooler Master CM 690 (RC-690) Black (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=5265)
Cost: $142.31 Including GST and Postage(Rotorua)

All three of the gaming cases are under $170.00 dollars, this will allow me to put more funds towards the motherboard and other essential parts.
Also just to let you know this computer will be running Windows 7 Home premium.

If you've clicked on any of the links above you will see im buying all my parts from playtech (http://www.playtech.co.nz/)
When buying from Playtech I can be assured of getting the parts I ask for and excellent support.

Thanks,
Joe

EDIT: Votes close 7 Days from now.

Blam
28-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I would get the Antec Three Hundred.

Its solidly built, and has a plethora of awesome system builder features.

Cooling is excellent too.

Looks a bit bland but its a great all rounder:)

Blam

PCT Joe
28-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the input, I will take this into consideration upon purchase, it is also the cheapest of the lot.

Ive also just realized that next week we will have to make two considerations. Brand and model of CPU and a motherboard.

xyz823
28-10-2009, 07:38 PM
haha I would get the thermaltake one.

just because it looks nice....

PCT Joe
28-10-2009, 07:42 PM

I agree with you on this however this is a practical computer on a budget, if there are practical reasons to have this case I would like to know but unfortunately aesthetics aren't the main priority on this project.

Blam
28-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I agree with you on this however this is a practical computer on a budget, if there are practical reasons to have this case I would like to know but unfortunately aesthetics aren't the main priority on this project.

The Thermaltake is also a bit flimsy..

xyz823
28-10-2009, 07:47 PM

hmmm in that case I would probably go for the Antec Three Hundred.

PCT Joe
In saying that it does seem to have good airflow but the antec is good also. and its cheaper(I'm not rich!)

You already voted didnt you xD

KarameaDave
The Antec means $10 to $30 more towards a better CPU etc.
So that's what I would do, looks are secondary to function IMHO.

PCT Joe
28-10-2009, 07:48 PM
The Antec means $10 to $30 more towards a better CPU etc.
So that's what I would do, looks are secondary to function IMHO.

Exactly as I was saying in my post before.
Did you read it =P

Unfortunately because of the type of the build(budget gaming system) it looks like the motherboard will be dual core, this is however not the end of the world. dual cores are excellent machines.

Ive had problems with my motherboards crystallizing in the past so I will have to be careful about that also.

EDIT: Thermaltake is winning at the moment followed my the antec and coolermaster tied for second place.

KarameaDave
28-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes I read it.........After I finished posting
It wasn't there before I started or I wouldn't have bothered.:p:lol:
Nothing wrong with Dual Core in a machine for general use.

PCT Joe
28-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Most games still play real well on a dual core solong as you have a good graphics card(my computer for example)

hueybot3000
28-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Ive got the coolermaster, excellent case. Strong and well laid out

PCT Joe
29-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Vote, it all counts at the end, although tbh im pretty sure im going for the antec. might order it tomorrow... >< so hard lol

Gobe1
29-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Dude, good idea this post. I voted for the cooler master but upon reading the posts perhaps the Antec is the way to go.
Good luck

sroby
29-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd avoid Thermaltake.
I have one(different model). Poorly made, poorly designed. Looks Nice.
'Screwless' didnt work, had to force in screws to hold cards & HD's in place properly
Extremely badly designed. Any case that the CPU heatsink & fan has to be removed just to get the power supply in has big issues..and it was a full size(oversize) case

wratterus
29-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Did a build with this recently. Didn't like it. Too plastic-ie/weak. HDD/optical drive clips are annoying. Looks alright, but almost try-hard. IMO a young persons case. :p It reminds me of a 1800 honda accord with a rangi bodykit and loud exhaust. I use a Thermaltake Kandalf LCS, over $500 worth. Hate it's guts.

The Thermaltake is also a bit flimsy..

Blam's on the money. :thumbs:

Did a build yesterday with the CM 690. Was extremely impressed with the build quality and functionality/layout of the case. It has a LED fan on the front so you have a little bit of bling, but on the whole the case looks great, very functional. Also great airflow/thermal design, and pretty good dust filtering too.

I would take the 690 over the other two, but would take the Antec over the Thermaltake.

IMO the 690 is very good value for money, you normally see cases of this quality on sale for over $200. It also has Firewire AND e-SATA on the front. How many cheapish cases have that, huh? :p

+1 for the CM. :)

PCT Joe
29-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Well I think we can rule the thermaltake out of this build because of comments on its build quality, its down to the Coolermaster/antec .... ima read up on there sites and check the reviews

PCT Joe
29-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Ok Tomorrow morning about 9am im ordering the case, at the moment it will be a coolermaster... get in quick with reasons why to change if you want me to.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Yup, I've had a few cases where they state / say its "screwless" when in fact theyre not. Theyre either not strong enough to hold whatever in the case.

Or, in the case of the card reader I use, it cant be held in without screws. It'll fall out / fall inside the case.

hueybot3000
29-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Ok Tomorrow morning about 9am im ordering the case, at the moment it will be a coolermaster... get in quick with reasons why to change if you want me to.

Stick with that!

whellington
29-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Cooler Master CM 690 (RC-690) Black

The Antec Three Hundred is pretty overpriced for what it is

Blam
29-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Cooler Master CM 690 (RC-690) Black

The Antec Three Hundred is pretty overpriced for what it is

Wow. Why do you think the three hundred is overpriced?

whellington
29-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Wow. Why do you think the three hundred is overpriced?

Just my opinion

Blam
29-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Just my opinion

Yes, but what are you basing this opinion upon?

stormdragon
29-10-2009, 07:51 PM
CM690

I've got one, great cases, well built (just be careful taking the front off, requires force but not to much), heaps of space and looks decent.

Cooling isn't an issue either with my 7 case fans (2 front intake, 1 bottom intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust and 1 side intake by side window. All speed controlled)

hueybot3000
29-10-2009, 08:28 PM
CM690

I've got one, great cases, well built (just be careful taking the front off, requires force but not to much), heaps of space and looks decent.

Cooling isn't an issue either with my 7 case fans (2 front intake, 1 bottom intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust and 1 side intake by side window. All speed controlled)

Ive cut all the grills out of mine, that was its one downfall, noisy grills

sroby
30-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Yup, I've had a few cases where they state / say its "screwless" when in fact theyre not. Theyre either not strong enough to hold whatever in the case.

I usually end up having to force screws in somehow..

Old proverb: if you dont own a screwdriver you shouldnt build a PC :badpc::badpc::badpc:

PCT Joe
31-10-2009, 02:56 PM
The Case will be here on monday, its a CM 690 btw.

Its only got the stock standard fans. (front, rear, left.)

possibly once the build is complete ill introduce more fans and a cpu cooler?

hueybot3000
31-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Youl want to take the fan off the side if it has one, its really noisy because of the grill. But front and back are fine

gary67
31-10-2009, 03:05 PM
The Case will be here on monday, its a CM 690 btw.

Its only got the stock standard fans. (front, rear, left.)

possibly once the build is complete ill introduce more fans and a cpu cooler?

It won't run without a cpu cooler it will overheat and shut down

PCT Joe
31-10-2009, 03:51 PM
im mean a aftermarket one, sorry for the confusion.
im looking at amd's for my processor, theres a low end quad for $170 on playtech