PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrrrrr

xyz823
28-10-2009, 05:15 PM
My brother was borrowing my laptop and he downloaded a torrent which included a program to reset the computers SID. So he ran it...rebooted...and now all I get is the picture below!

I am restoring from my image backup now (taken today thank god) so is more of an annoyance than anything else. But what I want to know is-what is the SID? Google tells me its the security identifier but that means nothing to me lol.

wainuitech
28-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Semi technical answer -
It is the unique ID used to identify a computer or a user on a network under windows. It's generally not something you ever have to worry about unless you clone your machine. Why the hell did he want to change that for anyway ??

Non Technical answer - as it says its an identy - if you clone a PC, and try to have basically both on the Same LAN then they will clash. By changing one Identity, this removes the problem. Usually used when a company / Person has several or hundreds of PC's all exactly the same, one way to change it is to run sysprep on the master image before cloning, this gives the options to change the SID as well, thus making it different to every other PC that uses the same cloned image.

Take the name brand PC's, you dont think Dell, HP etc install seperate OS's for every PC they make ?? they would use an image to produce many PC's all using the same hardware. In fact often you can have several PC's all the same model, with all the same product key from the factory, and you can bet your boots its NOT the same product key that stuck to the PC -- But thats another story :)

xyz823
28-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Why the hell did he want to change that for anyway ??

LOL he wanted to install a Stardock App here. Have a look at the readme!

Anyway I am even more pissed because my backup wouldn't reinstall!

SO ended up reinstalling windows lol.

And I have no broadband left so am getting a friend to downlaod drivers and copy to a flash drive for me.

Oh and thanks for the explanation.

KarameaDave
28-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I take it that your brother is no longer
on your Christmas card list?:D

Blam
28-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Might want to remove that link(read the forum rules)

You don't need to re download the drivers, you can export them..

Is this XP or Vista?

Blam

xyz823
28-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I take it that your brother is no longer
on your Christmas card list?:D

haha he would be off I I could be bothered sending them lol. I usually just send out a group email wishing everone a merry christmas.

Saves sooooo much time lol.

Speedy Gonzales
28-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Well you know for next time:

1. Dont let him near it

2. Lock it with a password

Blam
28-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Well you know for next time:

1. Dont let him near it

2. Lock it with a password

You are so to the point lol:banana

KarameaDave
28-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Perhaps he has something you could sabotage?
Just Kidding (but only just):lol:

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2009, 06:41 AM
darkstar09, we don't allow warez here, this is your first and final warning. Thanks.