PDA

View Full Version : Need Urgent Help with Display Problem!

Shevman
28-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this!
I'm running Windows Vista x32 and 2x 8800GT

Basically I have red vertical stripes running all across my monitor. I am not 100% sure if it is a monitor problem, or a graphics card problem, though it is seeming extremely likely that it is graphics related:

-When I look up the video cards under device manager, both of them have warning symbols and under properties it says that windows has disabled them due to some sort of problem.
-I tried installing latest graphics drivers through windows update, but this has made no change.
-I cannot access Nvidia Control Panel by right-clicking the desktop
-When I ran BIOS, the video cards are detected, but the graphics glitch still persists, although during initial start up, the glitch is scattered green dots all over the screen. This changes to the vertical red stripes at the log-in screen.

Speedy Gonzales
28-10-2009, 01:24 PM
DONT use the WU drivers. Get them from the Nvidia site. The update from windowsupdate probably doesnt install the Nvidia control panel. Which is why you cant see / use it. Roll back the drivers, then install the Nvidia drivers, from the site. This site (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=26&t=75315) says its a faulty card

CYaBro
28-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a faulty card if the display problems are changing from one thing to another.
Have you removed one of the graphics cards and tested them one at a time?

Shevman
28-10-2009, 02:42 PM
My previous drivers were the original that came with the card and I could see the nVidia control panel until this problem arised. Anyway, that's not really the big issue at hand atm, just thought I would mention it as a "symptom".

Looking at the site you posted, my problem is similar to this picture: http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/graphicscardmemory3.gif

Not quite like it, I have alternating normal and red vertical bands across the screen, but that example appears to be close enough.

According to that site it looks like I have a VRAM problem?

Would a VRAM problem explain why both cards are being disabled, or is there something more to this?

I don't have any experience opening up computers, I know its not a big deal, but unfortunately I'm in the middle of exams atm and for the time being the computer is working fine and I don't want to accidentaly make it any worse. I'll probably have to wait 1.5weeks when my exams are over before I proceed with looking further into it.