PDA

View Full Version : Low Disk Space

cancer393
28-10-2009, 01:08 AM
So I've finally almost filled up my hard drive over the years.:help:
I'm looking for a solution to give me more storage capabilities.

I've been looking at external hard drives, but I am not sure if this is the way I should go or not.
Would a internal hard drive be the better solution? If there's space in my computer is it just as easy as connecting it up and off it goes?

If a external hard drive is a good solution what are the best brands out there? I seem to hear mostly about Seagate and WD.

Thanks.

gary67
28-10-2009, 05:49 AM
An internal would be a case of install it and then format it, create any partitions you want with something like Easeus partition magic or gparted found on Linux live CD's and then away you go. Where as an external would be lug in and away you go.

Seagate had an issue last year or was it earlier this year for a while which they fixed quite quickly so a few members here switched to WD I am using seagate as I have not had to buy any drives lately

wratterus
28-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi cancer, how large is your current drive and what OS are you running?

stainton
28-10-2009, 07:42 AM
It depends on what you want to do with it. Eg take data places or just leave it in the PC. I would go for an internal drive though

Blam
28-10-2009, 08:06 AM
So I've finally almost filled up my hard drive over the years.:help:
I'm looking for a solution to give me more storage capabilities.

I've been looking at external hard drives, but I am not sure if this is the way I should go or not.
Would a internal hard drive be the better solution? If there's space in my computer is it just as easy as connecting it up and off it goes?

If a external hard drive is a good solution what are the best brands out there? I seem to hear mostly about Seagate and WD.

Thanks.

What are the specs of the current HD?

In terms of internal HDs, it should be plug and go, provided your motherboard has the available ports.

An external HD will be a bit slower than an internal HD unless you use eSATA, which your motherboard probably doesn't have judging by the age..

Comes down to personal preference really. If you don't need to transfer data between machines and share data etc then an internal HD would be fine.

An external is slightly more expensive but will give you the convenience of sharing the drive with multiple PCs

Blam

cancer393
28-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi cancer, how large is your current drive and what OS are you running?

149gb. Running Vista

wratterus
28-10-2009, 09:28 AM
OK, so it's probably sata. You can get Sata drives for so cheap now, I'd buy a 500GB or 1TB WD or seagate and put it in internally. You can clone from the old drive to the new one if you'd like, there's plenty of free cloning tools out there, or just use it as storage. Another option is if for whatever reason you can only have one drive in the PC, install the large drive as the main one and use the 160GB as an external (for backups/portability etc). Sounds like an internal drive is the way to go here though.

cancer393
28-10-2009, 09:54 AM
What are the specs of the current HD?

In terms of internal HDs, it should be plug and go, provided your motherboard has the available ports.

An external HD will be a bit slower than an internal HD unless you use eSATA, which your motherboard probably doesn't have judging by the age..

Comes down to personal preference really. If you don't need to transfer data between machines and share data etc then an internal HD would be fine.

An external is slightly more expensive but will give you the convenience of sharing the drive with multiple PCs

Blam

Current HD is: ST3160023AS

Agent_24
28-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah that HDD is SATA

Unless you need portability etc I would go for internal.

1TB drives are currently the best price/GB

Blam
28-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Yep, just go for a Seagate or WD 1TB

The WD Greens are very good value, abeit a little slow but fine for basic usage. Get the black if you want performance and the longer warranty(3yrs vs 5yrs)

cancer393
28-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Yep, just go for a Seagate or WD 1TB

The WD Greens are very good value, abeit a little slow but fine for basic usage. Get the black if you want performance and the longer warranty(3yrs vs 5yrs)

I need to make sure I get SATA only then?

Blam
28-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I need to make sure I get SATA only then?

Well you don't have to as your motherboard probably has a spare IDE port like most, but I wouldn't bother with IDE. Its slower, older technology and costs more.

Go for SATA!:)

Agent_24
28-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Well since your old HDD is SATA, it makes sense to assume you have SATA ports in your PC and therefore would benefit from buying a SATA drive.

You most likely also have a free IDE port or two as well, however they are slower and the drives are more expensive (and smaller)

It still wouldn't hurt to open it up and check to make sure you do indeed have a spare SATA port though.

I just bought two of the 1TB Seagate 7200.12. Same price as the WD Green but faster :D

Agent_24
28-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Oops.

cancer393
28-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Cheers! :)