PDA

View Full Version : Reclaiming space

jno
27-10-2009, 02:40 PM
What on earth have I done??? Everything's gone to being "right justified" and I can't fix it!
Anyhow, the long and short of it is that I have lots and lots more updates in my installed programs.

Can I remove them all to gain space?"

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Use ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com). You shouldnt uninstall patches, / updates theyre there for a reason. If you dont want the updates, you may as well uninstall the program as well. You could uninstall the Compatability Service packSP2 for Office 2007. But then, you wont be able to open Office 2007 based documents. I think thats what its for. What other programs have been installed / are in add/remove programs?

jno
27-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Further to the above posting I note
i) The "XP" has been missed out after "Windows" in the first line
ii) miraculously (!) the version showing up is all left-justified. Great!

jno
27-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I've got cleaner and have just used it - with the result that I now have 424 Mb of free space . . nothing like the just-under 2 Gb I would much rather have as I did a week or so ago.
I note that there is a huge number of updates, over 70, listed under "Windows XP"; once they've been installed, does one have to keep the program?

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Err windows XP is the OS. The updates under it, are its updates. So, you cant remove it. Unless you reformat and install something else. You could uninstall Office, then the updates will go with it. Or buy a bigger hdd

KarameaDave
27-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Could you move 'My Documents' to the D drive?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

jno
27-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Thank you very much folk. I have moved My Documents to the D drive (after copying it first on to a DVD for safety) and find that I now have 1.24 Gb of space on my C drive. However, I will almost certainly be suggesting to my wife that a suitable Christmas present could well be a new HDD! I priced one for the laptop the other day . . a 160 Gb drive would cost under $200 which I thought was very reasonable. Better than forking out for a new laptop - and I'll have enough room to instal Windows 7.

wratterus
27-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I would recommend using Easeus Partition Manager to resize the partitions. I have done this hundreds of times in this exact situation with no issues.

It is still wise to back up any important data before going ahead with the resize though.

http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

jno
27-10-2009, 04:45 PM
A huge "Thank you" for all the helpful advice. I have now also checked out one of the "Similar Threads" listed below and found in the one on h/d space the following:
"just a stab in the dark but check that xp hasn't created a pagefile on your 4gb drive. Search for a hidden file called pagefile.sys, it's usually around 500-600 mb's in size. If it's there you can go into advanced system properties and divert it to the other drive."
So I checked my C drive contents and lo and behold! there is a pagefile.sys file of size 786 Mb. So I'll transfer it over to my D drive (again, I have saved it on to a DVD just in case!) However, I also note that there is another C drive file called "hiberfil.sys" of size 1.24 Gb!! Can I move that over to the D drive?

wratterus
27-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Don't move either of those files. Windows needs them where they are. hiberfil.sys is used by the hibernation, if you don't use hibernation then turn it off and you can remove the file. pagefile.sys is also a file windows needs. You can move this, but don't do it manually. Go into system, properties, advanced system settings, and performance. You can specify which drive to use for storing the page file on.

Blam
27-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Don't move either of those files. Windows needs them where they are. hiberfil.sys is used by the hibernation, if you don't use hibernation then turn it off and you can remove the file. pagefile.sys is also a file windows needs. You can move this, but don't do it manually. Go into system, properties, advanced system settings, and performance. You can specify which drive to use for storing the page file on.

Yep, disable the one on C and enable on on D

Also, highly recommend you do the partitioning using the tool above.

Backup your data first just in case.

Also, you may want to try something such as WinDirStat (http://windirstat.info/) and Space Monger (http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php) which may point to what may be eating up all your disk space.

Blam

jno
27-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks, but when I right click on system (in the Windows folder) and then on properties, advanced, I get a window saying "Choose the settings you want for this folder", and I see only "Archive and Index attributes" and "Compress or Encrypt attributes". I don't see "advanced system settings"; where do I find that?

Blam
27-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Right Click My Computer;)

Ah-and that gives me an idea. Right Click C drive>properties>tick 'compress this drive to save space'

Can quite a few hours to finish, espec. on large drives to be patient.

Blam

Morgenmuffel
28-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Probably a daft question, but in add or remove programs, how many versions of Java are there?

wratterus
28-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Ah-and that gives me an idea. Right Click C drive>properties>tick 'compress this drive to save space'

Don't want to contradict you here Blam, but from experience I would strongly advise not to do this. It seems like a good idea, but the amount of disk space it saves vs the performance hit you get from compressing everything is just not worth it. Seem time and time again old laptops or PCs with a 20GB HDD or something with the drive contents compressed, running like utter crap. Uncompressed the contents of the drive (has taken a whole day sometimes) and the general speed of the PC improves a lot. :2cents:

Blam
28-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Don't want to contradict you here Blam, but from experience I would strongly advise not to do this. It seems like a good idea, but the amount of disk space it saves vs the performance hit you get from compressing everything is just not worth it. Seem time and time again old laptops or PCs with a 20GB HDD or something with the drive contents compressed, running like utter crap. Uncompressed the contents of the drive (has taken a whole day sometimes) and the general speed of the PC improves a lot. :2cents:

Can't say its ever happened before with me when I've done it, but I'll take your word for it as you probably have more experience than me:)

Blam

jno
28-10-2009, 01:47 PM
OK folks - had a bit of a break as the weather has been fine enough for me to mow the lawns! Re getting rid of unwanted files, I've now discovered the files which I remember deleting in the past which I thought were update files . . they are the $NtUninstall files in the C:Windows folder. Can I get rid of all the files in that folder which start with "$"?

inphinity
28-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Can I remove them all to gain space?[/I]"

No tech in their right mind will advise you to uninstall service packs, security patches, and updates to save some hard drive space.

How big is the Documents and Settings folder? I can't imagine Windows + Office is taking up 25GB of drive space. There's something else eating it up.

Speedy Gonzales
28-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Use ccleaner then go to cleaner /windows tab. I think the hotfixes option removes the $ntuninstall folders. It should be safe to remove them, but you cant uninstall them, if you want to. However, by the looks of it, DON'T delete the $hf_mig$ folders.

Blam
28-10-2009, 02:09 PM
No tech in their right mind will advise you to uninstall service packs, security patches, and updates to save some hard drive space.

How big is the Documents and Settings folder? I can't imagine Windows + Office is taking up 25GB of drive space. There's something else eating it up.

I thought they were uninstallers for hotfixes/patches?

inphinity
28-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought they were uninstallers for hotfixes/patches?

I was referring to the ones in the original post under Add/Remove Programs.

jinja_thom
28-10-2009, 03:50 PM
This looks like a problem I ran into about a year ago involving a hidden folder called Installer that lives in the folder Windows. As I said its a hidden folder so you will need to change folder options to make it visible. Go to this link
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/07db294a-79e5-4a5a-916c-6a51e44a5aa4 and read the last four entries in the thread.
Be very cautious and at least take a checkpoint before attempting this.
It might be better to read the whole thread before attempting to run the utility msizap.exe.
When I had this problem Installer on my system was about 49GB now it's 2GB.
HTH

Blam
28-10-2009, 07:02 PM
I was referring to the ones in the original post under Add/Remove Programs.

Ah OK.

jno: I recommend you remove these folders through CCleaner(tick "hotfix uninstallers")

jno
29-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Re sizes of folders: Windows Size 19.0Gb, but then it says "Size on disk 15.6Gb" What is and why the difference? Doc and Folders: 2.15/1.96Gb; Office 206M/159Mb.
Thanks for the tip about cclearner hotfix uninstallers; it has done the job.
And thanks, jinja thom, re Installer. My Installer file is 13.7/11.4Gb. I'll check out the link.

jno
29-10-2009, 02:52 PM
jinja thom: I've checked out the link and downloaded the file msizap.exe but like one of the contributors to the thread, DavidJMan (Nov 2 2008) I find that the file opens for a "split second" and then closes. The following contributor, gambo9, says you must run it from command prompt, dos. How do you do this?