PDA

View Full Version : licensing?

ollieogg
26-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi all,
I bought windows 7 last week and now realise that I need a license for each additional installation of Windows 7. I know nothing about this. Can someone explain what I need to do, who do I contact? and the biggee.. how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies :)

CYaBro
26-10-2009, 10:16 PM
What did you buy last week to get Windows 7?
That is what you will need to buy to put it on another machine and you will need to buy one for each machine you want to put it on.

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2009, 05:18 AM
Windows has *always* required 1 license per-machine, however in the past with the likes of Win 95 / 98 / ME / 2K you've been able to install with the same key and get away with it due to no online activation.

Your best bet is to head over to Playtech or Ascent to purchase a legit license for each PC you require it on. Avoid TradeMe / eBay, I'd hazard a guess that some are *not* legit ...

gary67
27-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Yes unlike some MS software that can be installed on ONE desktop and ONE laptop operating systems do not operate like that you will need one copy per machine unless they do bring out a family pack. However you can purchase a 3 license copy of Win 7 see here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382322)

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2009, 06:55 AM
They have the "family" 3-PC pack in the US, but not here in NZ afaik .. it's different (lower cost) than the regular 3-Pack

ollieogg
27-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I read that they don't have the family pack in Australia so dollars to donuts it won't be available here either. I certainly can't afford $621.50 when I have already forked out $250 already :( The family will just have to learn to love Vista:) Thanks for the replies.

Blam
27-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I read that they don't have the family pack in Australia so dollars to donuts it won't be available here either. I certainly can't afford $621.50 when I have already forked out $250 already :( The family will just have to learn to love Vista:) Thanks for the replies.

If anyone in your family goes to uni they could get it quite a bit cheaper..

robbyp
27-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Is there really any advantage going from Vista to 7 anyway? 7 is really just vista cleaned up and optimised. You can buy an OEM copy of 7, which is the same as the retail version, but a lot cheaper, however you don't get any microsoft support, and it is locked to the PC you install it on. The OEM price doesn't appear to be much different from the upgrade price either.