PDA

View Full Version : Dialup modem for W7 64bit, Avaialble??

paulw
25-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Today I bought a new entry level PC from PBtech. Nice box for her but after I got it I discovered that she is still on dialup won't go to ADSL. I tried an old PCI Speedcom modem but even after Windows update downloading a driver for it it would install. Her existing PC running Win XP has a modem so I will try that one tomorrow but in the even of it not being recognized are there will available modems that will work with W7 64bit??

Thanx in advance..

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2009, 06:53 PM
According to this site, this is (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=USRobotics%20Performance%20Pro%20-%20fax%20%2f%20modem%20Modem&v=USRobotics&uid=&pf=3&pi=1&s=dialup%20modem&os=32-bit)

And so is this (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=USRobotics%2056K%20V.92%20Internal%20PCI%20Fax%2 0Modem&v=USRobotics&uid=USR5699B&pf=1&pi=2&s=dialup%20modem&os=32-bit)

There's a few more Zoom and US robotics modems there, that have yet to be tested for x64

dbs
26-10-2009, 12:20 PM
any serial external should work

gary67
26-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Dick smiths own USB modem? works on Vista where as the supplied Dell USB modem did not

McRuff
26-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I upgraded to a US Robotics Modem when I upgraded to Vista 64 as it was the only decent modem with 64 bit drivers that I could find.

Modem is great, very fast and stable, even though I live in the country. Much better then my old Dynalink external modem and USB modems I have tried.

Drivers for the modem are on the Win 7 setup DVD so It was recognized and the driver installed during windows setup.

paulw
27-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I upgraded to a US Robotics Modem when I upgraded to Vista 64 as it was the only decent modem with 64 bit drivers that I could find.

Modem is great, very fast and stable, even though I live in the country. Much better then my old Dynalink external modem and USB modems I have tried.

Drivers for the modem are on the Win 7 setup DVD so It was recognized and the driver installed during windows setup.

Thanx. Where did you buy the USR modem from in NZ??

paulw
27-10-2009, 07:03 PM
any serial external should work

Should be no serial ports.

McRuff
27-10-2009, 09:25 PM
The modem was purchased from from C1 shopping mall. Which I understand is now defunct

My computer also has no serial ports. I purchased this (ST Lab I-341, PCIe-1, 4-Port Serial Card, 4x 9-Pin Serial Connectors)from Ascent which works fine with Vista/W7 64

mzee
27-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I am using a Dick Smith 56k USB modem with W7. Installed by its self, didn't need the driver. Installs as USB and Com4 so can be picked up by early software. Only cost about $56.

paulw
28-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I am using a Dick Smith 56k USB modem with W7. Installed by its self, didn't need the driver. Installs as USB and Com4 so can be picked up by early software. Only cost about $56.

32 or 64 bit??

This is the replay when I asked DSE about their DSE 56K USB Modem v2.

"This product was not designed to be used with windows 7. Windows 7 was released to public last week, but our Product Develeopment people are looking into this and may come up with some solution for drivers for windows 7 in the near furure. At the moment drivers are available only for Windows 2000, XP and Vista."

You would have thought that since W7 RCs and RTMs have been around for 6 months or longer these companies would have W7 drivers out by now.

paulw
28-10-2009, 08:27 AM
The modem was purchased from from C1 shopping mall. Which I understand is now defunct

My computer also has no serial ports. I purchased this (ST Lab I-341, PCIe-1, 4-Port Serial Card, 4x 9-Pin Serial Connectors)from Ascent which works fine with Vista/W7 64

Thanx for the feed back. I take it from the above that the USR modem you got was an external one??

McRuff
28-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes it is external. There is no model number on it. And I have long since thrown out the box. Device Manager shows it as U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT.

However it looks like this and may be this one

http://www.usr-apr.com/products/p-dialup-product.asp?prod=hom-5630d&loc=apnz

I also bought a Dick Smith USB modem first and had problems with it. The 64 bit driver that came with it was unsigned and wouldn't work. I found a driver for it on the web but I could only get it to connect at about 28K and was pretty unstable, lots of disconnects and occasional crashes of the driver.

USR modem connects very reliably at 52K. Sometimes it will optimistically connect at 53.2K which is a bit unstable and it will disconnect after a while.

My issues with the USB modem and speed however may have a lot to do with me living in a rural area. Someone living in a city may not have any problems.

paulw
28-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Many thanx to all who replied.

I asked Steve at PB Tech where I bought the PC from and he got one of their techs to do some testing and found this one works fine out of the box
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODNCM5920

NetComm IN5920 56K V.92 MODEM Internal PCI AGERE chip..

Also "I also test the Dynalink & Netcomm USB 56k external modems we have in stock, neither was supported out of the box and there is no manufactures driver support for Windows 7 as yet. "

Good customer service..

mzee
29-10-2009, 09:47 PM
The Dick Smith USB modem does work with Vista and W7. I told Dick Smith's but they were not interested. The Vista driver works in W7, but in a later install it worked with out the driver. W7 also installed a Lucent Win modem which hadn't been used for some time as it would not work with Vista. This was all with a Beta W7, so I imagine that the final version would have no problems with it.

paulw
30-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanx Mzee.

After setting up this PC I would hate to ever have to go back to dial up. Can't seem to talk this women into going ADSL. She says doesn't use the net enough. 68 emails in two days was the count last nite when I installed the modem and she does all her banking etc on line as well. Windows 7 dial up is a pig compared to Win XP. Guess they are trying to dissuade people from dial up.

This same person also said "I always turn it off at the wall every time I finish with it so I don't use any power." and in the next breath she was telling me about her two overseas trips in the past few months and more planed for next year. You can't win with some people. No doubt I'll be getting help calls for the next few months as it doesn't look like XP anymore. She should have upgrade to a new PC months ago when I first told her then she would have gotten a Win XP model..