PDA

View Full Version : System Restore not work

ianhnz
25-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi guys and hopping you can help, please. I have XP Home with SP3. Tried to run system restore, rstrui.exe, even in Safe mode, nothing happens.

I guess I must have stuffed it, but don't recall playing with it...

Checked in the System, from Control Panel and it set up as monitoring.

Using the Tools, System Restore, in C Cleaner it shows 27 entries and 3 today.

System ,"SEEMS" to be running okay, but I may need it sometime.

Any helps appreciated:

thanks,

Ian.

wainuitech
25-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Try running it from your Windows XP CD in the recovery console. have a read of This thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=104287&page=2) - Number 17.

ianhnz
25-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi, wainuitech.

I did a fresh install, only about 2-3 weeks ago. A format install.

If I run the, the recovery console, will it not fully restore my system?

IE I will lose all the restore points and Microsoft will start downloading all the updates and have to reload SP 3 and start again??

ianhnz
25-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Is it possible to run System Restore some other way than normal or in Safe mode?

pctek
25-10-2009, 06:34 PM
What is the problem you are trying to fix? System Restore is not a magic fix for everything. And it will restore malware, so if that's your problem..............

ianhnz
25-10-2009, 06:37 PM
As I said in my first post all I said was, I couldn't access, System Restore. That is all..

Blam
25-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi guys and hopping you can help, please. I have XP Home with SP3. Tried to run system restore, rstrui.exe, even in Safe mode, nothing happens.

I guess I must have stuffed it, but don't recall playing with it...

Checked in the System, from Control Panel and it set up as monitoring.

Using the Tools, System Restore, in C Cleaner it shows 27 entries and 3 today.

System ,"SEEMS" to be running okay, but I may need it sometime.

Any helps appreciated:

thanks,

Ian.

How long have you waited? Sometimes it can take quite a while to open on some machines, espec. those with a large amount of restore points..

wainuitech
25-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi, wainuitech.

I did a fresh install, only about 2-3 weeks ago. A format install.

If I run the, the recovery console, will it not fully restore my system?

IE I will lose all the restore points and Microsoft will start downloading all the updates and have to reload SP 3 and start again??

The recovery console in simple terms is the "base" from which to launch the commands. Simply running the recovery console will do nothing in the way of altering anything.

You may be thinking of a recovery partition - which is totally different.

IE lose recovery Points ??? IE is Internet Explorer- it doesn't have a restore function.

If you were to run WINDOWS system Restore, it will wind back your PC to the point you select, it will leave any data / photos etc you have, but will wind back the program files, as in remove any programs, updates that have been installed after that restore point.

If you cant access system restore normally or safe mode, then it may be corrupted, or a faulty install OR restore is turned off..

Using the Tools, System Restore, in C Cleaner it shows 27 entries and 3 today Ccleaner will NOT run system restore, it only allows you to clean out / remove the selected restore point.

ianhnz
26-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys. As sugested by, blam6, I'll click on System Restore and just leave it and see if it does start up..