PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba A200 power cut offs,

gum digger
24-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi there
need help diagnosing this problem i am currently having with this laptop.

Its a Toshiba A200 and about 18 months old, the laptop sometimes powers on showing blue power, hdd indicator. sometimes shows a orange indicator on power indicator. besides this when it starts sometimes it shuts off like a power cuts off and then starts again automatically. its hard to find out what it could be. as i have tried switch ram sticks around,
tried having 1 memory stick (switched between slots)

can someone guide me please.

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2009, 07:23 PM
And whats on it? Whats the specs of it. Will it boot into safe mode properly?

wainuitech
24-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Try removing the battery and running straight from the mains, sounds like its losing contact with the power source. Could also be a fault on the Motherboard.

gum digger
24-10-2009, 07:50 PM
And whats on it? Whats the specs of it. Will it boot into safe mode properly?

A200
Core 2 Duo
3Gb ram, ddr3 667
2 x 160gb hdd
runs vista premium

gum digger
24-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Try removing the battery and running straight from the mains, sounds like its losing contact with the power source. Could also be a fault on the Motherboard.

same problem with mains or battery.

is there anything on motherboard i can check i have disassembled laptops before so i could open this up.

Blam
25-10-2009, 06:31 PM
If its not the power supply then its probably the motherboard.

No longer under warranty I assume?

gum digger
25-10-2009, 07:55 PM
nope, sucks aye. wish i had bought extended warranty on this.

Burnzee
26-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi Gumdigger

With Toshi Laptops an orange on the power indicator is due to a mains adaptor fault. I see some previous posts have suggested this too. Just pulling out the plug and running on batteries doesn't prove squat.:groan:

Assume for the moment, the mains adaptor is faulty. This does not automatically mean it does not work. Often they do have an output but not the rated one. Therefore the Toshi is not getting all the power it needs. Here's the part you may not realise - the battery is not getting a full charge and it can't deliver either. Do not put a voltage meter directly across the mains adaptor, this will give false readings because it is there is no load.

Only way to check properly is to load the supply, not easy with a laptop or use a known good mains adaptor. My suggestion is to buy another mains adaptor.:eek:

BURNZEE

Agent_24
26-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Faulty power jack? I heard that can cause some problems.

I also was looking at a Toshiba P35 which would turn on for half an second and then off instantly.

Apparently the fault was due to a bad power management IC (Maxim MAX1902EAI) but I never confirmed this

gum digger
17-11-2009, 04:39 PM
took it to service plus they suggested motherboard is faulty but they cannot source the part. so i was thinking to take it to a chinese repair shop and put in a generic motherboard. what do u guys suggest

Agent_24
17-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately there is nothing such as a "Generic motherboard" for a laptop. Each and every laptop is designed differently, as well as the boards, and you need that exact same one.

If you want to get a new board, try www.sparepartswarehouse.com but it's likely to be pretty expensive

Other than that, you could try to source the part yourself, then supply them with it and get them to do the job. Do you know what part they need?

Have you tried any other service people? eg:
http://www.aucklandpcrepair.co.nz or www.laptoptech.co.nz