PDA

View Full Version : Log on cycle - Compaq PC reinstall with generic XP Home CD?

Tukapa
24-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi

I have a PC here which has been beset by many viruses including modifying the userinit.exe file, to the point where every time I fix one thing another little blighter rears it's ugly head. I was going to do a simple reformat & reinstall of Windows XP so went to run the Compaq built in full destructive reinstall option but the machine would not allow me to do that. :badpc:

I thought then I would burn the recovery disk set so proceeded to do that and it completed successfully. Booted form the disk set and the machine tells me that the disks weren't for that machine and would go no further. :badpc:

After a bit more work and removal of more nasties it now starts up and goes to log on then starts logging off automatically and if you try to log in again it just repeats the same cycle. :badpc:

Frankly I have spent enough time on this thing and want to know if I boot off a generic Windows XP Home disc will the cd key on the side of the Compaq machine be accepted or will I be left with a machine that is basically a paperweight?

Cheers!!

wainuitech
24-10-2009, 09:40 AM
As long as the CD is OEM Home, and the COA is OEM Home, it "should" work.

If in doubt and you have a spare small drive ( takes less time to format) try on that first to the point of installing the product key, as long as it accepts it, stop and do the real one.

The problem often arises when its XP PRO.

Just remember you will need to download New drivers from HP.

Tukapa
24-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Wainui.

Yep - I'm prepared for driver hell.

I wish people would listen to me when I tell them that Limewire and the like should be tossed into the burning pits of hell!

Mirddes
25-10-2009, 07:23 AM
it'll work fine. XP home OEM disk+key=success

wainuitech
25-10-2009, 09:21 AM
XP home OEM disk+key=successNot always - I have had many PC Company PC's through the workshop, and not every OEM XP CD / key works.