PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 upgrade confusion

GorCh
23-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on what is and isn't possible with upgrading to windows 7, as all the information i have found seems to step around the question I want answered.

I am currently dual booting vista 32 home premium and the windows 7 64bit RC.

I'm a uni student, though not a computer science one, and can get Win7 Ultimate 64 upgrade for $180 through the tertiary scheme.

However is this going to be a viable option for me? I know I can't do an in place upgrade. I don't care if I have to re-download and install programs, and all my data will be backed up anyway.

Ideally I want a clean install. But will I be able to 'upgrade' from vista 32 to 7 64?

Cheers fro your help,

Gorch

nmercer
23-10-2009, 10:05 PM
yes, just boot off the Windows 7 DVD and do a normal install

Cheers
Nathan
Microsoft NZ

GorCh
23-10-2009, 10:07 PM
So you don't need to have an installed version of windows working first to use the upgrade disc?

davidmmac
23-10-2009, 10:10 PM
With Vista you were able to do a clean install with an upgrade disk (see here (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp)), I'm not sure if you can still do this with 7 though.

Edit: Just found this (http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/06/25/clean-install-with-windows-7-upgrade-media-what-about-x64-upgrades.aspx), which you might find useful.

Thebananamonkey
24-10-2009, 12:30 AM
How do you get the tertiary discs?

I've been looking all around trying to get them but have only been able to find US and AUS based sales. Is there a website or do you get them through Uni?

Trying to make the most of my GF's last few weeks at uni for my own benefit...

nmercer
24-10-2009, 02:04 AM
So you don't need to have an installed version of windows working first to use the upgrade disc?

Let me check up about the upgrade disc, whether it needs to see Vista/XP to install or activate

Cheers
Nathan

GorCh
24-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Thebananamonkey: Lapshop.co.nz stocks them. I know they have partner sites with many universities.

Blam
24-10-2009, 12:30 PM

No, you don't, follow DavidMac's link.

GorCh
24-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay cheers. Also found this on the same site, is a step by step guide to actually accomplishing it.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

GameJunkie
24-10-2009, 09:38 PM
anyone keen to try that way of installing W7?

SolMiester
24-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on what is and isn't possible with upgrading to windows 7, as all the information i have found seems to step around the question I want answered.

I am currently dual booting vista 32 home premium and the windows 7 64bit RC.

I'm a uni student, though not a computer science one, and can get Win7 Ultimate 64 upgrade for $180 through the tertiary scheme.

However is this going to be a viable option for me? I know I can't do an in place upgrade. I don't care if I have to re-download and install programs, and all my data will be backed up anyway.

Ideally I want a clean install. But will I be able to 'upgrade' from vista 32 to 7 64?

Cheers fro your help,

Gorch
NO!

viperviperviper006
25-10-2009, 11:48 AM
ive sent Microsoft an email about this but they haven't replied

viperviperviper006
26-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey gorch ive heard back from Microsoft and the short answer is yes. Heres what they sent me.

Warm greetings from Microsoft Customer Service.

As I understand it, you are enquiring on the upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. If my interpretation is incorrect, please let me know.

you do qualify to use a Windows 7 64 bit Upgrade media and License on a machine that has a valid activated install of Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. To install the upgrade of Windows 7 64 bit on a 32 bit machine you are required to perform clean installation meaning that all of your programs will need to be re-installed and data restored to correct locations.

If you would like to install the Windows 7 64 bit upgrade, you are required to perform “custom” install and a clean installation of Windows 7. In this case, you should back up all the data on the machine that you wish to keep before the upgrade, as the installation of Windows 7 64 bit upgrade will not allow you to keep any documents, settings, files etc.

I hope I was able to address your enquiry to your satisfaction, should you have further questions relating to this enquiry or any additional enquiries, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Alternatively, for immediate assistance, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service on 13 20 58 from Monday to Friday, between 8am - 8pm.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

GorCh
26-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow a rapid and to the point response from MS. Good to see. Thanks for the efforts viper.