PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a D-Link DSL-604T

curly
23-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Well had to happen one day I guess, but my trusty D-Link DSL 504 gave up.

Had a good run so replaced it with the DSL-604T. Problem is that it just will not find the ADSL signal. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the setup, as Orcon sent me a modem and it works just perfect, trouble is the wireless lAN antenna on the Orcon unit is a built in type, and we have a larger external antenna we need to use, so we can't use the Orcon modem, so sending it back.

Spent most to the time today, in conjunction with Orcon, who I think just gave in in the end :-)

There's gotta be an answer. I have reset it several times, switched it off for 10-15 minutes and followed the setup procedures. Also removed every other phone on the property. There's no alarm system to upset things and yes both the phone attached to this computer and the ADSL cable goes through a splitter (which is like the modem - brand new).

Anyone got any experience with the setup of a D-Link modem, preferably the DSL-604T.

Any tips or suggestions greatly received.

Safari
23-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Are you saying that you can't get a DSL light on the 604T but you can on another modem.
If so the modem is faulty as even if it was not set up correctly you should still be able to get ADSL sync.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2009, 09:16 PM
If you mean the DSL-G604T, Ive got the same modem here. All I did was put my username / password in it, and that was it. Did you put your username / password in it then reboot it?

Log into it, (10.1.1.1) run the wizard, set the timezone, select the 1st option, put the username / pw in, VPI - 0, VCI - 100, Connection - PPPoAVC-mux. Then enable / disable the AP. Then save / reboot the router. If it came with a setup cd ( I think mine did) forget that, do it manually.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Double post

Agent_24
24-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Make sure your mode is correct. For example If ADSL2+ is not enabled on your line yet you have it forced to use ADSL2+ in your router, you will never get anywhere.

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I just left mine on the default (ADSL2+) its fine. Even tho the plan I'm on doesnt support ADSL2

Agent_24
24-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Is your line actually running in ADSL2+ mode though? Or does the router fallback to ADSL?

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Wouldnt have a clue, but I know I'm not on a ADSL2 plan

Agent_24
24-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Should say in the ADSL status page...

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2009, 06:06 PM
The default is ADSL2+ (mulltimode)

evrypc
24-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Thats weird. Ive chewed through so many routers and they all connected OK. Maybe its broken?

curly
25-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Are you saying that you can't get a DSL light on the 604T but you can on another modem.
If so the modem is faulty as even if it was not set up correctly you should still be able to get ADSL sync.

Exactly. The D-Links ADSL light flashes constantly, while the Orcon modem conects within 30 seconds.

Took the D-Link back today and Harvey Norman did a straight swap for another brand new one.

Set it up, ran the wizard, only to have the same thing happen again !!!

Well this is crazy, obviously not the modem. I suspected the ADSL to modem cord might be faulty, so swapped it for a new but quite longer one - but it made no difference. OK swapped the cable between the modem and the computer (Vista), but that made no diff either. That only left the power supply, but I had two D-Link supplies and neither made a difference and in any case the Orcon power supply used a different plug system.

Reset the modem, but nothing changed.

I'm out of ideas. I would keep the Orcon modem , but it has a permanent antenna. We have quite extensive use of wireless here and need to use an outside antenna.

D-Link here in NZ were not of any help, except to refer me back to the seller.

There has gotta be an answer - but what might it be.

curly
25-10-2009, 07:13 PM
If you mean the DSL-G604T, Ive got the same modem here. All I did was put my username / password in it, and that was it. Did you put your username / password in it then reboot it?

Log into it, (10.1.1.1) run the wizard, set the timezone, select the 1st option, put the username / pw in, VPI - 0, VCI - 100, Connection - PPPoAVC-mux. Then enable / disable the AP. Then save / reboot the router. If it came with a setup cd ( I think mine did) forget that, do it manually.

Yeah been there, done that, but thanks

curly
25-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Make sure your mode is correct. For example If ADSL2+ is not enabled on your line yet you have it forced to use ADSL2+ in your router, you will never get anywhere.

OK, will go back in and look for the mode setting, however Speedy has his going OK, still anything is worth a try. Thanks.