PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keeps restarting

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I've appreciated your help in the past so here I am again needing your help.

I have a Compaq Presairo M2000 running Windows XP Home eition, 1GB mem. One of the kids loaded cyber security (I've read somehere it's a fake), and ever since it was loaded we now have some major problems.

Once the laptop was shut down and rebooted we can't get past the windows logo. It boots up, gets to Windows logo, then after a few seconds reboots itself again, and on and on keep repeating that cycle.

I'll appreciate your guidance on what I need to do to fix this problem so I can the laptop get back to normal running / functions. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Has cyber security been removed now tho? If it hasnt been removed, uninstall it. Then boot into safe mode / networking, get malwarebytes, update it then do a full scan

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Is there a way I can remove cyber security perhaps the XP CD or something like that because I can't get past the windows logo stage?

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Boot into safe mode / networking. See if that works. Then do as posted in my 1st reply. Is ccleaner installed?? If it is, run it, then delete the startup entry for cyber security under tools / startup. The XP cd wont fix it, there's nothing on it to remove it. Its probably in add/remove programs. Or boot into safe mode / networking get teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com) the full version, install and run it. Then send the ID and password to me in a PM. I'll check it out from here. Make sure youre in safe mode networking tho

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 10:58 AM
It seems that none of the options works after I press F8. Whether I choose "Last known good configuration", "Safe Mode" "Safe Mode with Networking" etc, it goes through as if it's going to open then shuts down and reboots again.

wratterus
23-10-2009, 11:02 AM
It looks a bit like you are going to have to take the notebook to a tech.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Theres an option disable system reboot or something isnt there?? Did you select this? Does it blue screen?

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes I selected "Disable automatic restart on system failure", pressed enter and the blue screen came up then computer rebooted itself, then back where it was before.

feersumendjinn
23-10-2009, 04:38 PM
You may need to repair your operating system first by doing this
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=433614&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00681978
(unless you have a restore partition on this computer, invoke that by pressing the indicated key when booting and select repair); then use the software in Speedy's signature area to clean up the machine.

Agent_24
23-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Or pull the hard drive out and scan it with something else and/or do repair manually...

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 05:40 PM
The option above is to re-install windows afresh. How do I save my current data (the important files) in the laptop harddrive?

Is there a way I can connect my laptop to my desktop computer and let the desktop computer copy data from the laptop?

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2009, 05:47 PM
As agent said, pull it out connect it to a desktop, then copy whatever. You cant copy programs tho, you'll have to reinstall them. After you reinstall

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry but I've never worked with laptops before. I know my desktop has sata cables but looking at the laptop harddrive now it looks as the pins do not match the sata cables. I assume there are cables that can go between desktop and laptop harddrives?

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Does the repair mentioned above refer to something like recovery console using the XP CD (I read somewhere?)

wainuitech
23-10-2009, 07:22 PM
You can try doing a system restore back a few days using the recovery console Via a XP CD. Its possible, if the system was restored it "may" boot up good enough in safe mode to run malware bytes and remove the infection.

Its a 50/50 chance it will work, wont do any harm ( or shouldn't), let me know if you want full instructions as how to run restore from a XP CD. Its completely different to normal system restore,I have used it a few times and it allows you to select different restore points. You wont lose any data, but it should take out the program.

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 07:36 PM
From what I've just read, I put the XP CD in and boot the machine up then select R, 1 Enter then Enter again until C:\Windows or something like that.

But after that I'm stuck. I don't know what command to type in next. Help!

wainuitech
23-10-2009, 07:48 PM
getting into the recovery console is the start - IF you want to run system restore back do the following .May pay to print this off - its LONG.

Follow the commands TO THE LETTER or ~ \ marks as I put them. put in spaces only where shown.

How to Run system restore from XP recovery Console :

NOTE: where it says <enter> this means press the Enter key. Where it says Type: type the command that follows.

Note any spaces in the commands, these are VERY important. If a command runs off the page DO NOT press enter to make a new line, just carry on typing.

All commands are in lower Case, some are written in caps – ignore this.

Boot from the Windows CD.
Select R to enter the recovery Console

Follow the prompts through till you end up at the following.
Select 1 ( normally)
When asking for the admin password, Press Enter, as long as it’s not password protected, if it is, then type in the password.

The Command prompt it should look something like C:\WINDOWS>

Type: cd \ <enter>

NOTE: between “cd” & “\” there HAS to be a blank space as well as the following commands where entered.

It should now say C:\>

Type: cd system~1\_resto~1

If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, do the following:

Type: cd \

<enter>

Type: cd windows\system32\config

<enter>

Type: ren system system.bak

Press enter

Type: exit

<enter>
Now the computer should restart.

Start again and work through till you get to C:\>

Type : cd system~1\_resto~1

Type: dir

<enter>

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2"

Type: cd rp

(With the second to the last restore point number) Eg: let’s say you have rp1, rp2, rp3 – rp8,rp9 select rp8 Example: cd rp8

Then click enter

Type: cd snapshot

Now the command Prompt will look like this

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp8\snapshot

NOTE (next command) space single between E \windows and copy _R

Type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software

Press Enter

Press Y to over write.

Type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

Press Enter

Press Y to over write.

Type: Exit <Enter>

The Computer will now reboot, remove the CD as its booting, all going well your system will now boot normally, if not try safe mode.

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey thanks, I'll have a go now.

kfoffice
23-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks a million wainuitech, we're back in business now. Laptop is now running as usual. I also found out that laptop was heavily infected by something. I had avast but was obviously disabled by the virus. So I uninstalled avast and downloaded MS security essential, ran it and found a whole lot nasties and dealt with them!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

wainuitech
24-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Great - :thumbs: BUT its not finished yet - download from my sig, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Spyware Terminator - install, update and run all in full scan.

DONT - disable system restore yet- many people disable system restore to clean out PC's, and while that can stop it reinfecting, it does also blow away all options of restoring if something goes wrong. Once Sure it's working, then you can disable restore to remove any infected points.

Don't ya just love the DOS commands - I do - you can do a lot more than the so called "modern Fixes" ;)

kfoffice
24-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks, I'll do that