PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Programming

evrypc
22-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi all,
i have decided to go early for some programming education.
what kind of language is simple but effective?
(and free)
i did some html actionscript and c# but yeah.
thanks! :)

MushHead
22-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Effective for what?

If you want to do general-purpose programming for PC's, etc, then I'd look at C# (warning - mainly M$-centric), Java, then maybe C++ or even C. Advantage of all those is there's good free compilers (IIRC, MS have a free, but limited, compiler for C#).

If you're interested in electronics, then you'll probably find C the most useful (I've used it pretty much exclusively for the last 17+ years in this area). It gives you a good grounding & most of the other languages mentioned here owe a lot to it & use identical or similar syntax.

If you want to do web-based stuff, then you'll still find C# & Java useful, but then you'll also find the common scripting languages come into play (Perl, PHP, Python, to name a few of the common ones). Also the latter are handy to know if you're interested in Linux & open-source programming.

So it's very much "horses for courses" - there's hundreds of languages out there to choose from.

davidmmac
22-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I know some vb6 and found it easy but it's becoming a bit out of date.

I think the best programming language to learn at the moment is C#. You can download it free from Microsoft here (http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/).

There's also this thread here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=99639) which you might find useful :thumbs:.

evrypc
22-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmm sounds like c# is good...
Thanks guys!

Erayd
22-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Just please, for goodness sake learn how to program properly. C# is a very nice language, but it's also very easy to create the most godawful travesties with it. The same applies to almost any other language powerful enough to be useful, although C# makes it particularly easy.

Edit: So does PHP (in fact PHP makes such satanic creations even easier), although not for all the same reasons - I've had to clean up after far too many incompetent PHP developers who thought they were wizards at it :groan:. Please have mercy on the poor sod who has to maintain your code and learn to do the job well ;).