PDA

View Full Version : Win7 Tweaks etc help needed

pctek
22-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Just installed the sucky thing.

3rd Party Fixes Tweaks Welcome - and probably needed.

1)How can I arrange icons in folders the way I want them, not Windows choices?

2)Control Panel lists all, but not if I just click it and it opens in a folder, how do I amend that. Like Classic View really.

3)A couple of icons aren't showing their pretty picture, I apply it and it still doesn't. How do I amke it have its prettiness back instead of the Unknown icon type? It shows it when I go to select it.

May be some more...I'm wading through them painfully one by one.......

SolMiester
22-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I think you use folder options?...or use the slider at top right!
dont understand question 2, but i have selected classic view before, cant remember where that was..?
not sure about the pretty icons, is your pc up to the graphical requirements?, have you updated yet?

SolMiester
22-10-2009, 01:42 PM
DP!

wainuitech
22-10-2009, 02:47 PM
1. Right click the folder / you have two options, "Sort by or group by"
If desktop - as per standard, right click desktop / View, make sure auto arrange and align to grid are not selected.

In most other folders, (they moved the slider bar) its top right Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/here.jpg) with Options shown (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/options.jpg).

2. In Control panel, top right - you have the words "view by" 3 options, large Icons, Small Icons, Category (thats all) -- you can further refine as sol mentioned, by folder options.

3. Are you meaning the default Icons for windows apps/programs or other programs Eg: FF ??

The defaults for folders the user creates are , Right click Icon / Properties/ Customize - several options to select icons. Including defaults. If its a system folder, you may need to go into control panel / folder options/ restore defaults.

pctek
22-10-2009, 03:13 PM
1. Right click the folder / you have two options, "Sort by or group by"
make sure auto arrange and align to grid are not selected.

The defaults for folders the user creates are , Right click Icon / Properties/ Customize - several options to select icons. Including defaults. If its a system folder, you may need to go into control panel / folder options/ restore defaults.

I want to sort by none of them. I want to move them around without them popping back into whatever predefined place,\.

For instance I have old DOS based game icons at top.
Under I have RPGs. Under that I have FPSs. etc, so several lines of icons, not sorted by any criteria they offer.

As for the picture thing with icons, that didin't work. I had to delete the shortcut and re-paste it and that fixed it. But shouldn't have had to do that. It wasn't corrupt - they ran just fine. Weird.

Now that I have installed a few things the bloody thing is hanging.
Can't decided if it is Counterspy or MS Office causing it. Or neither.
Grr..........more messing about now.............

I'll probably crash it in a minute.

evrypc
22-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Get rid of the grid. (i think)
1. right click on desktop
2. view
3. align to grid
4. unselect this
AND
get rid of auto icon
1. right click on desktop
2. view
3. auto arrange icons
4. deselect that
hurrah. :D

jwil1
22-10-2009, 03:59 PM
One thing I find infuriating about 7 is the delay between hovering over the taskbar icon and it's thumbnail appearing.

It's a simple reg fix though, luckily!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"MouseHoverTime"="20"

(the 20 is the delay in ms - by default it is 400 IIRC)

pctek
22-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Get rid of the grid.
get rid of auto icon

D

I'm not thick.
This is NOT on the desktop.
Its in a folder. The icons inside a folder.

evrypc
22-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh dear. My bad Sorry :dogeye:

plod
22-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not thick.
This is NOT on the desktop.
Its in a folder. The icons inside a folder.

But truely arrogant

evrypc
22-10-2009, 04:39 PM
everyone makes mistakes. :(

pctek
22-10-2009, 04:56 PM
So it can't be done without some 3rd party hack.
I googled and nope.

And another thing I just found:
Have hidden folders/files enabled etc, but couldn't find a certain DRM file I knew was there. Searched with Agent Ransack and oh yes there it is, took it out via that.
Agent Ransack and Win Explorer open side by side and WE wasn't showing it.

Hmmm.

wainuitech
22-10-2009, 05:18 PM
One thing I find infuriating about 7 is the delay between hovering over the taskbar icon and it's thumbnail appearing.

It's a simple reg fix though, luckily!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"MouseHoverTime"="20"

(the 20 is the delay in ms - by default it is 400 IIRC) HUH!! mine shows in less than a second ??? If I try to count I just get 1 out and it shows.

jwil1
22-10-2009, 05:46 PM
HUH!! mine shows in less than a second ??? If I try to count I just get 1 out and it shows.

Yeah, it's not a long delay, but it's enough to slow down the flow of the OS IMO.

ronyville
22-10-2009, 07:19 PM
3)A couple of icons aren't showing their pretty picture, I apply it and it still doesn't. How do I amke it have its prettiness back instead of the Unknown icon type? It shows it when I go to select it.

Have you tried changing the following options under Folder Options? Just a thought...Pic (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/folder_icons.JPG)

pctek
22-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Have you tried changing the following options under Folder Options? Just a thought...Pic (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/folder_icons.JPG)

Yep.
Just had to recreate it. WHo knows......
Been messing with it since 11am. I'm amazed I haven't crashed it yet.
Only hung it 4 times.........

The install itself was fast. The uninstalls etc ..................:banana

ronyville
22-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep.
Just had to recreate it. WHo knows......
Been messing with it since 11am. I'm amazed I haven't crashed it yet.
Only hung it 4 times.........

The install itself was fast. The uninstalls etc ..................:banana

Yea, if you haven't played with Vista than I guess W7 will be like a whole new OS to play with. I do like it. XP did everything I needed but I received a free copy so installed it. Have already crashed my W7 3 times.. its 64bit so still trying to get a few software to work properly. Enjoy your new OS ;)

Blam
22-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I want to sort by none of them. I want to move them around without them popping back into whatever predefined place,\.

For instance I have old DOS based game icons at top.
Under I have RPGs. Under that I have FPSs. etc, so several lines of icons, not sorted by any criteria they offer.

As for the picture thing with icons, that didin't work. I had to delete the shortcut and re-paste it and that fixed it. But shouldn't have had to do that. It wasn't corrupt - they ran just fine. Weird.

Now that I have installed a few things the bloody thing is hanging.
Can't decided if it is Counterspy or MS Office causing it. Or neither.
Grr..........more messing about now.............

I'll probably crash it in a minute.

You could create a library called games, then if you have 3 seperate folders with you own sorting for you games(FPS, RPG etc) then add those folders to the library.

Blam

pctek
23-10-2009, 09:18 AM
You could create a library called games, then if you have 3 seperate folders with you own sorting for you games(FPS, RPG etc) then add those folders to the library.

Blam
Library? Hmm. Will be looking into various options anyway, see whats around 3rd party as well.

My father will like the large icons/text thing, and I like the slider for size.......He will like its looks not that he wants to buy it really.....

I hate the folder arrangements.
I hate the rubbish to the left - that was easy to disable in XP.

Hate the massive list of unnecessary services. Turned hundreds off.

Hate Aero shake, like Aero.

I've tried running all sorts of tweaky things, and while some hasn't worked, it hasn't crashed once. Hung once or twice but not crashed.

I did mess with Vista for a bit and there are a couple of things that are different even to Vista.
But this is why I installed it. Can't learn all the behind the scenes unless you mess with it thoroughly on your own PC.