PDA

View Full Version : corrupt rar files

goinggrey
21-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I have a winrar file on disk that reads ok, accepts its password okay, but then throws up an error on reading some of the revealed files (suggesting password error). As password is not the problem I suspect data corruption. Does anyone know of any freeware capable of diagnostic and recovery?:badpc:

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Sounds like a bad download of files that somebody didn't want you to get into in the first place. Warez much? Choose your next words wisely ...

nofam
22-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Chill slowly removed the Ban Hammer from its case, feeling its substantial, yet perfectly balanced, weight sit familiarly in his hand. It had been some time since he'd felt the need to use it, and wondered idly if today would be the day. . . . .

wratterus
22-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Roflmao. :thumbs:

limepile
22-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Can't you do a checksum on this and if it comes back corrupt just re-download your nice legal file...... ( that'll be that new copy of a Linux distro you've been dying to get your hands on, Right ?? )

Agent_24
22-10-2009, 09:46 AM
WinRAR has a recovery function built in, but if something is corrupt, it's corrupt. There is no magical software that can un-corrupt something.

You might be able to extract some of the files and not others, and that's it.

If you have an MD5 hash etc of the file then use this to verify that the file is not corrupt, if it is, then get another copy.

GameJunkie
22-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Chill slowly removed the Ban Hammer from its case, feeling its substantial, yet perfectly balanced, weight sit familiarly in his hand. It had been some time since he'd felt the need to use it, and wondered idly if today would be the day. . . . .

:clap

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2009, 10:13 AM
+1 for nofams karma, I enjoyed that :D

nofam
22-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I've been on a fantasy novel bender of late (Robert Jordan FTW!) - can you tell?

:D

Blam
22-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I have a winrar file on disk that reads ok, accepts its password okay, but then throws up an error on reading some of the revealed files (suggesting password error). As password is not the problem I suspect data corruption. Does anyone know of any freeware capable of diagnostic and recovery?:badpc:

Whats the source?