PDA

View Full Version : D: not recognised

21-07-2001, 03:53 PM
Before installing ME upgrade i partioned the hard drive using instructions from supplied guide. all fine except ramdrive app installed itself on D:. trying to format D: brings up 'Format not supported on D:'
'Format terminated.'

so i am unable to access D:
Thank-you

23-07-2001, 09:56 PM
Ramdrive simulates a physical drive by loading utilities into memory i.e. RAM, rather than running them off a disk drive. You need to do this to be able to format hard drives etc. When Ramdrive runs, it assigns the next drive letter to itself and then other drives are reassigned one letter higher e.g c: remains the same, d: is now ramdrive, new partition is e:, and cdrom moves to f: (if you had not partitioned then cdrom would have moved from d: to e:). So if you want to format the new partition, you will need to format e:. Clear as mud? I have had to guess a little as you didn't quite supply enough info.

One important point is that ramdrive is only active until you reboot, so our drive letters will go back to normal - I would expect to see hard drive c:, new partition d:, cdrom e:.

25-07-2001, 10:33 PM
Thank you Andrew O.
I found your advice clear and easy to understand. I am new to computing and was still unable to format d: I will concentrate on learning some more before trying again
Thanks
tj