PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Vista/Win 7 shares

linw
20-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I am really frustrated with this one as I just can't see what is wrong even after many hours of searching/experimenting.

Three comp network at home. Main machine Win (RC) 7, one XP machine and a newly installed Vista SP2 machine. I have always used guest/anonymous logins for sharing.

The XP machine can access the Win 7 and Vista shares. It can also share the Win 7 printer.

The Win 7 machine can access both XP and Vista shares.

The Vista machine can access the XP shares but I can't get it to access the Win 7 shares or printer.

It insists on prompting for an id and password. Something is stopping the guest/anonymous user access. Although, yesterday it was opening the shares but wouldn't connect to the printer (error 0x00000709) but it won't open anything now. It won't even display the shares - click on the comp name and bingo, up pops the userid/password window. So it appears not to be a share access rights problem. I even created an account the same as my Win 7 account and fed that to the id/pwd prompt but it still wouldn't work!

The Win 7 shares have Everyone with full rights. I have run net user guest /active:yes. I have checked HKLM restrictanonymous has value=0. I have run the troubleshooter and it gave up.

The network settings have password sharing off, discover network on and file and printer sharing on. I use only Windows Firewall and have file and printer sharing ticked. I tried disabling the firewalls to no effect.

I am totally stumped - it just seems a Vista/W7 thing as everything else works fine.

Any idea of what I can do to try to diagnose this one would be great.

wainuitech
20-10-2009, 09:33 PM
While you have done most of this - its how I normally set it up and they work fine:

This is in W7 but Vista is more or less the same - W7 - From the control Panel - open network and sharing, Change advance sharing ( on the right) select " Turn on file & Printer sharing", then scroll down the bottom and select " turn Off password protected sharing".
vista, Control Panel / network and sharing, to the right of the options are drop down arrows, turn off " Password Protected sharing" turn on " printer sharing" " File sharing " On

Make sure every thing is on the same work group, and in W7 Make sure the network location is set to home.

linw
20-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Problem is I have done all that. I have seen people complaining that Vista SP2 stuffed up shares.

More info. From command prompt on Vista m/c, net view \\comp name of w7 produces a system error 5 Access denied. If I use net view \\ip no. I get the win7 shares listed. Interesting. And if I put \\192.168.1.2 in the run box I get the shares displayed and I can go into them to my hearts content.

Basically, error 5 means you don't have rights. Funny that an XP machine has no problems. Sort of sounds like Vista SP2 is not communicating nicely with W7?

nmercer
20-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Problem is I have done all that. I have seen people complaining that Vista SP2 stuffed up shares.

More info. From command prompt on Vista m/c, net view \\comp name of w7 produces a system error 5 Access denied. If I use net view \\ip no. I get the win7 shares listed. Interesting. And if I put \\192.168.1.2 in the run box I get the shares displayed and I can go into them to my hearts content.

Basically, error 5 means you don't have rights. Funny that an XP machine has no problems. Sort of sounds like Vista SP2 is not communicating nicely with W7?

any interesting errors in eventlog?

wainuitech
21-10-2009, 07:08 AM
By any chance do you have homegroup setup on the W7 Machine.

This is going from memory, but when I was using the RC, if home group was activated no other PC could access its shares - but could see them fine.

linw
21-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Nothing in event logs, nmercer. Thanks.

WT, no homegroup setup.

I restored it to Vista SP1, clicked on the W7 name and, voila, up came the shares. Great, says I, I can now go and have my cuppa with a good feeling (yes, I know, you are saying, "Not so fast, Lindsay"!).

Came back half an hour later, tried again, and back to square one. Bloody computers. Boy, would I look silly if this was a client's system.

And all I wanted was to move my Vista to my wife's machine and set it up to print from the W7's laser printer as it was doing happily with XP. Is that too much to ask?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, anyway, thanks for your efforts. Guess it is something small and silly but I am getting desperate. I suppose the fact that it won't open with \\name but will with \\ip no. is relevant but I don't know what that is telling me. Probably should bo back to XP but I am stubborn and can't accept that computers are smarter than me (in spite of all the evidence to the contrary!!).

Cheers. Back to Google.

wainuitech
21-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Just did some googleing - and found the same problem, some fixed it resetting the winsock ,

open a command prompt netsh winsock reset catalog on both Vista and W7 -- Worth a crack.

linw
21-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for that. Did it on both - no change!

Think I will wait till tomorrow when I will be loading up the release W7 to see whether that somehow makes all come right.

Cheers.

linw
22-10-2009, 07:40 AM
I have isolated the problem to "bad blood" between the Vista (was XP) machine and this particular W7 machine. It has nothing to do with Vista or W7 per se as I got another W7 machine networked perfectly with the master W7 and the Vista machine.

This morning I changed the computer name of the W7 and, bingo, all is well. Changed it back and no go again. So, somewhere in an important table, there is a tie up with the name and some authentication details that are now wrong. Still a bit strange, though, as the now Vista machine has a different name and different user names from when it had XP on it.

Diagnostic factors are that the W7 can be shared via the ip no. but not name and that there can be a short interval on reboot for example, where the channel is open but closes after 45 sec or so.

Aaaah, had another thought. I changed the ip no. of the Vista machine (was on DHCP) and, bingo, it works! Looks like the link to the old setup is via the IP no.

WT, this would have been the reasoning behind the winsock refresh you mentioned but somehow it didn't clear the particular ip link needed.

Question for IP network gurus - can anyone tell me what table was jinxed and what I should have done to clear it? (Apart from changing the ip no!!).

Whew, need a cuppa and a lie down.

Back to where this started, still can't link to the W7 printer, though!!!!!!!!!! Aargghh. :badpc:

Thanks for help, WT.

wainuitech
22-10-2009, 08:07 AM
can anyone tell me what table was jinxed it will be the one place you didn't look :p :lol:

Ain't computers fun - Can someone please remind me why we do this for a living , and put ourselves through hell sometimes :rolleyes:

With the W7 printer, even though File and printer sharing should be selected under Network & Sharing / Advanced , just make sure the printer has shared correctly.

The first time I tried on a W7 ( RC) for some reason it didn't share.

In Devices and printers, Right click on your printer / Printer properties (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Properties.jpg) / Sharing Tab.

linw
22-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Hell, is right!!

FINALLY, got everything going OK. I had downloaded the Bro 2140 dvr onto the Vista box and when I pointed the add ptr to the inf file it said it was the wrong one. Found an exe file and ran it and even it said it wasn't the right dvr but would I like to continue anyway. Did that and it added the printer in and it even printed the test page!!

Thanks.