PDA

View Full Version : Start Button

21-07-2001, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your responses but I am afraid you don't understand.
Problem is RIGHT clicking the start button should give 'Open', 'Explore','Find' options but on my machine some programs have implanted their names here also and I can't get rid of them. The programs have been uninstalled or deleted.

21-07-2001, 11:33 AM
It is always preferable to uninstall the Start menu associations using the program that added them, however sometimes they do not always do this when unistalled. Try reinstalling the program and then unistalling it using the add / remove component in the control panel.

One place to check is to open Regedit (Start / Run / Regedit) and go to My Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ CLASSES \ Directory \ shell, here all programs that are associated with file folders are stored. Since the Start menu is really just a folder in the windows directory it will pick up these associations as well.

While you have regedit open, use the find fuction to find the string in regedit, export any keys before deleting them.

21-07-2001, 01:18 PM
No no no Ron :)
Sorry, In you other post I meant for you to Right Click on the shortcut IN the Start button that you want to get rid of, a menu will pop up and select delete.
Say you installed and didnt want it in the Start Menu, Click Start move mouse to programs, icq then when you have the mouse over it and its blue, right click and delete.

Ken.

21-07-2001, 01:25 PM
Alterntally you CAN right click ON the Start button and Open or Explore, then click you way to where ever the shortcut is you want to get rid off.

Hope its all sorted now :)

Ken.

21-07-2001, 01:30 PM
Arrgh..
Say you installed ICQ and didnt want it in the Start Menu, Click Start move mouse to programs, icq then when you have the mouse over it and its blue, right click and delete.

And dont go to the registry to do anything about shorcuts.

Ken.

21-07-2001, 01:38 PM
Tristan, you really should have adviced him to Back Up the Registry before wandering in there..He is only trying to delete a shortcut from the Start menu (without success) so I can just see Ron bowling into the registry and....
Ouch.

Ken.

21-07-2001, 03:42 PM
I didn't think he was talking about shortcuts?