PDA

View Full Version : PC automatically shuts down

rossperks
19-10-2009, 10:37 PM
My PC (running Windows XP) will spontaneously shut down, sometimes after only a few minutes, sometimes will go for several hours. Any ideas on how I trace the issue?

Blam
19-10-2009, 10:44 PM
What kind of shutdown is it?

Like a forced, instant shutdown or a normal windows shutdown?

wainuitech
19-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Welcome to PF1.

It could be overheating. When it shuts down, will it restart right away again, or do you have to wait a while?

What you can do - click start/run, type in eventvwr Press enter, when event viewer opens, look at the system & application logs, look to see if there are any error messages at the time of shutdown. If so what does it say ?

rossperks
19-10-2009, 10:51 PM
It's a forced shutdown, screen goes black and shuts off straight away. As far as overheating, I've cleaned all the vents, what else should I look at?

wainuitech
19-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Clearing the vents wont do much help if the heat sink on the CPU is full of dust / Dirt and other crap.

IF its over heating because of that, you need to take the side off the case , look at the heatsink, and clean out all the dust build up in the fans and cooling fins.

CPU's have a cutout that activates if they get to hot, which causes a shutdown, no warning just shuts down to prevent damage.

rossperks
19-10-2009, 11:11 PM
In eventvwr, under Application I've got an error that reads;
(Source)'Application Error' (Category)'None' (Event)'1000'

Under System I've got errors that read;
(Source)'Service Control Manager' (Category)'None' (Event)'7000'
(Source)'Service Control Manager' (Category)'None' (Event)'7009'
(Source)'DCOM' (Category)'None' (Event)'10005'

Not sure what it all means :)

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Boot into safe mode / networking (press F8 / hold it down after you reboot).

And come back online. See if it shuts down in safe mode. What service pack is on it?

rossperks
19-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm running SP3