PDA

View Full Version : What I don't like about Nod32 Antivirus

Billy
19-10-2009, 08:50 PM
1. It hogs time at startup with a compulsory virus scan. I don't seem to be able to turn this feature off.

2. It takes for ever to close down my PC as Nod32 insists on doing a scan. I can't turn this feature off.

3. It insides on updating itself (or at least wanting to update itself) whenever I connect to the Internet. I can tell it not to download large files.

4. Worst of all, it hogs the top of my Thunderbird screen with a stupid tool bar which I don't need and don't want. I don't seem to be able to turn this feature off.

Anyone know where I turn these "features" off? I've looked at the Setup window. But can't see where to click.

ESET Nod32 Antivirus (version 4)
Windows XP SP3

Roger Hunt
19-10-2009, 09:01 PM
its got to be in your settings as mine does the start up scan,only updates once when I go on line and there is no scan on shut down. Nothing shows on my thunderbird page. I think I had to set some things when I installed so you may have to reinstall and check the settings when you install.

Chris09
19-10-2009, 09:09 PM
1. Open Interface>F5>Anti Virus & Spyware>Setup>Disable as you please

2. Open Interface>F5>Real-Time File System Protection>Uncheck Computer Shutdown

3. Large files? What an earth are you talking about? Control some updates here:
Open Interface>F5>Update>Setup>Check settings

4. Haven't a clue, don't use Thunderbird. But you should be able to remove it, I can easily in Outlook and I doubt you wouldn't be able to quite frankly. Have a bit more of a look. Google is your friend

For more assistance, here is the manual. (http://download.eset.com/manuals/ESET_EAV4_User_Guide_ENU.pdf)

Hope I've been of some assistance for you.

P.S Credit to you for using NoD32.

wratterus
19-10-2009, 09:23 PM
NOD, once it's initially updated, has the smallest updates of any AV software I've come across.

As for the startup scan that V4 has, I always turn it off anyway. Very simple. Double click on the icon, down the bottom left change the view from standard to advanced, the click on tools then scheduler, and tick/untick the boxes as desired. I don't use thunderbird, but in any other email software i've used you can turn toolbars on and off by clicking view - toolbars, or right clicking in the toolbar area at the top of the screen and de-selecting the toolbar(s) you don't want.

bob_doe_nz
19-10-2009, 10:27 PM
For updating files (in my case at least):

Right Click Nod32 taskbar icon
Advanced Setup
There is an 'Update' section on the left. Click it.
Click the 'Advanced Setup' button
In the update mode section there is a section labelled 'Update file size', tick the section 'Ask before downloading update', change the file size to say 500kB. Click Ok.

If you're in simple view mode, there is no 'Advanced Setup'. Right click the taskbar icon / Open Window / In the setup section there is a 'Toggle Advanced Mode' / Click 'Entire Advanced Setup Tree' / Start from step 3.

For Thunderbird:
It's View / Toolbars / untick Eset Nod 32 AV

bob_doe_nz
19-10-2009, 10:51 PM
The Thunderbird option above hides it.

To remove it from Thunderbird:

In Nod32 advanced section
Click 'Miscellaneous' section
In the 'Email Client Integration' section, untick Mozilla Thunderbird integration.

pctek
20-10-2009, 07:24 AM
it hogs the top of my Thunderbird screen with a stupid tool bar

Follow Wainuitechs instructions - you can configure it all.
What toolbar - I've never had a toolbar?

One of the options in Advanced is enable Scheduler.

Then go into scheduler and remove or edit all the scheduled scans, updates etc.

Mine just updates and scans once a week.

The rest of the time, I might run a manual scan over a particular folder or something and thats it.

Strommer
20-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Follow Wainuitechs instructions - you can configure it all.
What toolbar - I've never had a toolbar?

Possibly it is bogus - malware posing as NOD32. Billy, where did you purchase it?

wainuitech
20-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Nod32 does have a toolbar option on most email,but as its been mentioned its normally under the tool bar settings, simply untick it - and its gone.

Billy
20-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks all. What a great forum.
Best of all, the tool bar is GONE !