PDA

View Full Version : IDE 80 wire Colour Code

B.M.
19-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Guys Iíve got a kids computer here that the kid has had a wonderful time fixing himself. Yes heís been inside pulled it all apart, made a good job of de-dusting but put things back in the wrong place.

Anyway, one of my problems is the IDE cable. Itís 80 wire and has two Black Plugs and one grey. Ok, I thought the black plug furthermost from the grey plug was the Motherboard.
The Black on the other end was Master and the Grey between them slave.

It only has the single HDD which is set to Master but the sod only works on the Grey middle plug? The BIOS recognises it as the first HDD set up this way.

So, I guess the question is, were any IDE cables made this way, or is there something Iím missing on this one?

johnd
19-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Unless you have the drives set to "cable select", it should not matter which connector you use. Sounds like the cable might be damaged?

wainuitech
19-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Unless you have the drives set to "cable select", it should not matter which connector you use. Sounds like the cable might be damaged? X2 with that.

I have PC's that are set every which way on the IDE cables, and all work fine.
As long as the red line on the cable goes to pin 1 on the drive, and pin 1 on the IDE board connection it should work.

B.M.
20-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys,

Whilst searching the Internet I found one Tech who said the Master should be first off which is what this is.

Here was me thinking the Master was always on the end?

:confused::confused:I've just looked at a spare cable I have here and It is clearly marked Master & Slave with Master at the end. :confused::confused:

I'll try it and see what happens. :thanks

Terry Porritt
20-10-2009, 07:52 AM
The reason the "Master" connector is at the end is so that the cable is terminated with a load to prevent signal reflections, in the same way as a transmission line has to be terminated with its characteristic impedance.

In reality it probably makes little difference, as already said. However there is a slight chance , or theoretical chance, of data corruption if the end of the cable is left "dangling".

B.M.
20-10-2009, 10:47 AM
The reason the "Master" connector is at the end is so that the cable is terminated with a load to prevent signal reflections, in the same way as a transmission line has to be terminated with its characteristic impedance.

In reality it probably makes little difference, as already said. However there is a slight chance , or theoretical chance, of data corruption if the end of the cable is left "dangling".

Now that is a very good point Terry. :thumbs:

(I knew there was a reason I always put the Master on the end :rolleyes:)

Anyway, in this case I think we probably had a little more than impedance matching problems, as closer examination reveals little Johnny has had a woopsy with his screwdriver and poked it through the cable. :lol:

A new cable got it going but then I got a message "Halted on System Error" (or something of that nature) and I seem to remember the last time I struck that it was faulty RAM. Anyway, Memtest reported 75,000 errors on its first pass.:eek: and then I notice on closer inspection some bulging, but not leaking capacitors.

I really think this thing is off to Computer Heaven. :crying

PENTIUM
20-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Capacitors with dome distortions may not be leaking but are frequently terminal. The usual fix is a replacement MOBO. I am one of the few veteran tekkies left that sometimes unsolder the crook ones and replace them with new ones.

B.M.
20-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Where do you buy the capacitors Pentium?

I thought of doing that just for the hell of it but Dick Smith didn't have any.

I'm looking for a couple of 1000uf and a couple of 400uf.

The voltage looks to be 6.3v

The Motherboard has no future as it is so could be an interesting exercise. :)

rumpty
21-10-2009, 05:38 PM
TradeTech on the North Shore in Auckland will have them.