PDA

View Full Version : Hot CPU

21-07-2001, 12:13 AM
I have an AMD Athlon 900 and it is getting up to temperatures of 67?, is this too hot? (i am using motherboard monitor 5.08 to measure this - witht he motherboard sensor)the rest of my system is 192mb ram 40gig hard drive, Gigabyte GA-7zx motherboard and windows 2000. I have a fan and heatsink on the cpu and i have a fan sucking air in at the front and the power supply sucking air out at the back. Is my cpu running too hot and if it is how can i get it to cool down? any help appreciated.

Thanx
Stephen

21-07-2001, 04:17 PM
Hi Stephen,
Dont quote me on this but I have heard that..
A. AMD's run about 10 Deg's hotter than Pentiums.
B. CPU temp monitors running in windows will give a reading around 10 or so Deg's more than a reading in DOS.

Ken.

21-07-2001, 04:45 PM
hi Stephen,
your processor is running within it's limits, but only just.... I suggest you check the clip is creating good contact between the heatsink and CPU, and that there is thermal compound between them. Compare against your case temparture, which shouldn't go above about 40'C. If the case is hot too, then the heatsink is moving heat off the CPU, if it's cool then focus on CPU cooling. I suggest you use the PC health section in the BIOS to measure the temp as it is less likely to be incorrectly calibrated. A low end but decent heatsink will go for about 30-40 dollars.

21-07-2001, 04:52 PM
I have thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink and here are the case temps i am getting (in mbm) 22? and 30? at current the cpu is running at 56? . do you think better thermal compound such as arctic silver (which i just happen to have a tube of) would help? or should i get a proper heatsink such as a thermaltake super orb?

21-07-2001, 04:52 PM
I have thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink and here are the case temps i am getting (in mbm) 22? and 30? at current the cpu is running at 56? . do you think better thermal compound such as arctic silver (which i just happen to have a tube of) would help? or should i get a proper heatsink such as a thermaltake super orb?

21-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Assumin you have a Socket A processor, try a Thermaltake GoldenOrb. This should cool down your chip. make sure to use thermal paste as well, as thermal TAPE is pretty crap(I nearly blew my K6-2 up using that stuff)

21-07-2001, 04:58 PM
I wanted to get a golden orb but i thought they were for socket 370 and didnt work on socket a?