PDA

View Full Version : copying from one HDD to another

Mike
19-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm trying to copy data from one HDD to another (about 80GB)... it's copying at 2.8MB/s which seems very slow to me... any ideas why it might be so slow and how to speed it up? 2+ hours seems a bit long for copying only 80GB of data.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2009, 09:41 AM
80 GB is a lot of data. It may also depend on WHAT the hdd's are (IDE, SATA, or SATA 2). Are you putting whatever youre copying in your system again?? Because it probably wont work, if youre planning on putting it into someone elses

Blam
19-10-2009, 09:49 AM
If its a SATA HD you can enable "Advanced Performance"

Double click the disk drive in device manager>policies

Mike
19-10-2009, 09:50 AM
80 GB is a lot of data. It may also depend on WHAT the hdd's are (IDE, SATA, or SATA 2). Are you putting whatever youre copying in your system again?? Because it probably wont work, if youre planning on putting it into someone elsesdrives are both Sata2 (infact I think I might be copying from one partition to another on the same physical drive).

Not sure what you mean about copying in my system or someone elses? I've never had trouble copying stuff between computers or on the same computer before?

Mike.

Mike
19-10-2009, 09:53 AM
If its a SATA HD you can enable "Advanced Performance"

Double click the disk drive in device manager>policiesOh I've never seen that before - thanks for that... hopefully I don't have a power failure lol :)

Mike.

inphinity
19-10-2009, 10:41 AM
drives are both Sata2 (infact I think I might be copying from one partition to another on the same physical drive).

Not sure what you mean about copying in my system or someone elses? I've never had trouble copying stuff between computers or on the same computer before?

Mike.

1) Partition to Partition on one drive will be slower than between two physical drives.

2) I think he is talking about if you are trying to simply copy the whole contents of a system drive in one PC and expect it to boot and run as normal in another, different, PC.

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2009, 10:47 AM
2) I think he is talking about if you are trying to simply copy the whole contents of a system drive in one PC and expect it to boot and run as normal in another, different, PC.

Yup thats what I meant, if youre planning on putting the hdd in another persons system.

Mike
19-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Yup thats what I meant, if youre planning on putting the hdd in another persons system.Ah ok. No, just copying data, not going to try to boot it or run programs or anything.

Still going :( been about 3 hours now, and says its got another hour to go! I think maybe I should have copied to a different drive (if partition to partition on same drive is slower)?

Mike.

Mike
19-10-2009, 12:45 PM
ah finished now :) stupid thing lol

Mike.