PDA

View Full Version : motherboard and ram query

21-07-2001, 12:01 AM
Hi,I have an old PC Direct Discovery 580 with a P5TX-B motherboard and 64M of ram.Some one told me that this was all the ram that this board could handle.Any more than this and it did no good,prehaps even slowing it down some.Is this true and if so,why.I would like to up the ram,but is it worth it?

21-07-2001, 03:31 AM
I did a quick search and it appears that your board supports 4 SIMMs or 2 DIMMs (may be less on your particular board), But you can't mix both types, and it supports a max of 256mb.
I don't know what kind of memory you currently have in it, but it sounds like you've run out of SIMM slots.
If you want to upgrade the cheapest option would be to remove the SIMMs and buy a DIMM. About $80 for 128mb, and you may be able to sell the SIMMs to someone else as they are becoming hard to get.

I doubt upgrading the ram will slow the system down, but I doubt it would help much unless you the computer is using the swapfile regularly.

21-07-2001, 09:08 PM
hi Peter,
I have one of these motherboards, they have 3 DIMM slots. You can use PC100 memory in them. I have 160MB of RAM in mine. Whoever told you it will slow the system down is talking cobblers. I have added a 233mmx CPU and 6GB harddrive. It runs Windows 2000 very well. Only shame is that it doesn't have an AGP slot.