PDA

View Full Version : What is a really good wireless modem router Combo

Sergio
18-10-2009, 04:03 PM
My Home LAN comprises a hub/switch connected to an old D-Link ADSL Modem (DSL-302G) with a wireless access point out on the LAN (D-Link DI-634M) to give Laptop/wireless connectivity. The DI-643M is malfunctioning (power going off etc). As these units are now quite old I guess its time to replace them with a single unit (ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless), preferably with N technology.
Can someone please suggest a really good unit & which is readily available as I need something asap? Preferably with VPN connection so I can get into my server using remote access. VOIP not really necessary.
Thanks.

johnd
18-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I always go with Netgear or Linksys - try this model perhaps? http://www.netgear.co.uk/rangemaxnext_wirelessbroadbandrouter_dg834n.php

nedkelly
18-10-2009, 09:45 PM
wow if you using a hub you will notice a big difference in network activity. Or are you using a switch? They both different pieces of hardware. Hub is dumb, switch is smart.

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2009, 05:09 AM
Depends on if you're after something that works out-of-the-box, or if you're after a few extra features and the 'geek' factor?

If you're OK with learning a little as you go, then the Linksys AM300 in Halfbridge to a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato.
If you want an all-in-one unit that works brilliant out-of-the-box, stable, feature rich, then go for the NetComm NB6Plus4Wn. It's great, has a ton of features, and from my experience seems rock solid.

Both will do VPN, and depending on the reliability of your 'net both will suffice just fine for VoIP (They don't overheat / die like the Linksys WAG160N's do at least).

See here: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODNCM1065

Sergio
19-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Very helpful suggestions, thank you.
Does anyone have any experience with this one?
Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Modem Router
It has Gigabyte Ethernet Ports which might be a good idea for the future.

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, the N1 failed horribly for me, in so many ways :D

Sergio
19-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for that advice. I'm keen to try your NetComm NB6Plus4Wn recommendation, - just a little worried about the future and not having Gigabyte Ethernet ports. Though I dont have Gigabyte cards now I was thinking about upgrading to them next year.

Blam
19-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Unless you do a large amount of file sharing 100mbps should be fine..

BTW Its gigabit rather than gigabyte;)

Blam

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah as mentioned even *if* you do a large amount of file-sharing, it's still not the end of the world. Perhaps if you were doing hundreds of gigs of data transfer regularly, but otherwise don't bother, chances are you'll never even make 100m/bit break a sweat :p

Post back your thoughts on the NetComm if you do go that way, always keen to hear what others think :)

utopian201
20-10-2009, 08:36 AM
heads up, linksys have just announced their wag320n adsl2+ modem. Dual band N, gigabit ethernet.

Chilling_Silence
20-10-2009, 09:08 AM
After the WAG160N, I wouldn't go near it ;)