PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem. New member

Skyband123
18-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi there,

Its my first post on this forum and i hope that i learn alot during my time here.
(i'm a complete noop to pc's :dogeye:)

I've got a few queries regarding my laptop.

I have two laptops and neither of them work anymore which prompted me to a buy a desktop this time. Before giving up on the laptops completely i was hoping some kind person here can maybe tell me what seems to be wrong with them.

1.The first laptop is a Sony Vaio vgn FE28B, it doesn't switch on anymore. The charger not so long ago blew up whilst it was connected to the laptop. Does it have any hope of being recovered or should i condemn it to the bin. (i don't expect this can be fixed, and even it can it will probably cost too much)

2. My second laptop is a HP compaq ncsometing (this is the laptop i hope can be fixed as it has some signs of life). When i press the power button, the fan whirs for a few seconds and the power lights light up, nothing comes up on the screen at all and then it goes dead, all this in a few seconds. When i try to charge the laptop, the charging light comes on but the computer still doesn't switch on.

Do you guys have any idea what the problem may be and how i should go about getting it fixed?

Thanks in advance guys.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2009, 10:52 AM
The 2nd one sounds like an overheating prob? There maybe dust in it somewhere. That happens with a desktop. It'll go off, if its overheating, so it doesnt fry. The 1st one probably blew something in it, when the charger blew up while it was connected to it. Your battery model isnt the VGP-BPS3A, or VGP-BPS2B is it?

Skyband123
18-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for quick reply. For the first laptop, i forgot to mention i didn't use it with a battery, it was always running on AC.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Can you see any dust on the 2nd one anywhere?? You could try removing the sonys hdd and connect it to a desktop. See if its working. If its IDE, (it maybe SATA), dont forget to jumper it.

Skyband123
18-10-2009, 11:16 AM
No i haven't done any checks on the laptops yet as i don't really know what i'm doing. I'll try opening the second one up and seeing if there is any dust inside.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Dont lose anything !

Skyband123
18-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Speedy Gonzalez you are the man, i just got the laptop out and tried blowing inside it and hey presto it switched on, although the fan still makes quite alot of noise. I feel so stupid, i just need to reformat it to get rid of all the junk and can then use it as my experimenting toy.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Sweet, use a vacuum..And suck it up. Just hover it above the dust

Richard
18-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Dontcha just love it when that happens? :clap

Skyband123
18-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Its happened a few times again after running for about 10 mins, looks like i'm gonna be doing some spring cleaning inside the laptop.

Erayd
18-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Its happened a few times again after running for about 10 mins, looks like i'm gonna be doing some spring cleaning inside the laptop.If you do, *don't* use the vacuum on the inside of the laptop; static buildup on the pipe can fry things. Go buy a can of compressed air and use that, unless you have access to a compressor.

Skyband123
18-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm a complete mark when it comes to PC's and laptops, do you gus think it wise for me to open the laptop up or should i take it to somebody who's a bit more qualified. If i do decide to do it myself are there any do's and dont's?

Thanks again guys.

Blam
18-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm a complete mark when it comes to PC's and laptops, do you gus think it wise for me to open the laptop up or should i take it to somebody who's a bit more qualified. If i do decide to do it myself are there any do's and dont's?

Thanks again guys.

Take it to someone qualified.

Skyband123
20-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi guys

Just thought i'd update you on my laptop (and possibly recieve a bit more help from the wizards here:help:)

I know i should have taken the laptop to a qualified tech to get fixed but since i was going to throw it away i thought what the heck, lets just open it. So, i did a lot of research and opened it up. To my surprise there was not a lot of dust inside so i removed the heat sink and had a look at the cpu without removing it. The metal middle of the CPU didn't have much thermal paste left on it and most of it seemed like it had leaked onto the green part of the processor and was covered in it. Now since thermal paste conducts heat and most of it was on the processor could this be why it was overheating?

Any ideas how i should remove the paste off the green processor and reapply it?

Thanks in advance.

Blam
20-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Clean it off with a cloth and some alcohol/CPU thermal grease cleaner.

Then reapply with some thermal paste. You can get it at any decent PC store.

Skyband123
20-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks alot blam,

Do you think it was due to the paste being on the green part of the processor which was causing the overheating?

SolMiester
20-10-2009, 12:46 PM
yes