PDA

View Full Version : Portable apps

gary67
17-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Used to run Firefox portable on my flash drive as part of my portable suite, however it no longer works it just won't launch.

So I looked for an alternative and found Chrome portable which I am using now to create this thread. So far I like it I imported all of my FF bookmarks easily. But I can't get rid of the ads on this site which slows it a little. I am beginning to like Chrome though and will continue to use it as my portable browser. I did try Opera portable but it did not actually show in the portable apps menu and did some weird things.

First impressions of Chrome then are good but won't be switching from FF on the desktop just yet.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2009, 04:10 PM
You could use privoxy or proxomitron they'll block ads. Only thing I found with proxomitron is, it not only blocks ads etc, it'll also block programs from updating (foxit reader is one one of them, if you use it)

Chilling_Silence
17-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Chrome Portable?! Awesome! *so* didnt know that existed!!

Is it available for the Beta of Chrome, or just the stable 2.x branch?

gary67
18-10-2009, 09:38 AM
That I don't know chill I found it just by googling for chrome portable. As I said FF portable no longer works, it tries to open then I have to go into task manager and both FF.exe and FF portable.exe are there (since FF is my main browser) and then I have to stop them from running to even be able to open my normal FF. Yet until about 2 weeks ago the portable FF worked fine